Silver Airways

Hello,

Would anyone know any information in regards to Silver Airways?

Louis

Louis,

Check out www.airlinepilotcentral.com. They have profiles of every airline on there that can hopefully answer your questions.

Chris

Louis,

I can also tell you that they are part of ATP’s Tuition Assistance program.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,
Thank you for sharing that website with me. I did see that Silver Airways is indeed part of ATP’s Tuition Assistance Program, which is a plus. I also see that Silver Airways is based out of Florida and having a domicile in Florida is my goal! Thank you!

Louis

Louis,

It sounds like you have your ideal airline all lined up then :slight_smile: Captain upgrade time is pretty quick there, which is a good thing for trying to get that all valuable turbine PIC time.

Chris

@Chris,

Thanks for sharing that website. I took a look it at for information on Silver Airways as well, as my boyfriend and I hope to move to Florida in the near future and would love for him to have a domicile there one day if at all possible. I read this on Airline Pilot Central about Silver Airways:

“New hires go to IAD first. Reserve 3 to 6 months. To move to Florida, quickest to TPA since MCO and FLL most senior bases.”

I want to make sure that I am understanding correctly. Once a pilot is hired by Silver, their domicile is IAD… for at least 3 to 6 months?

So, let’s say we are living in Florida and my boyfriend is traveling to IAD as his domicile… is commuting to your base as easy for regional pilots as it is for major airline pilots? Not sure how much seniority plays a factor in catching rides.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Elaine,

Yes you are understanding it correctly, but remember that this is the situation now. There are no guarantees what it will look like when the time comes to make a choice.

How easy is it going to be to make the commute is really dependent on a few factors. First, it depends on how many agreements the company has with other airlines. The bigger the airline is, the more agreements it probably has for jumpseating.
The second factor is probably the most important one and that is seniority. Some carriers follow ‘first come first serve’ policies, but most follow seniority and that makes commuting a little trickier.

Yarden

Elaine,

Commuting can be tough, especially for new hires with very little seniority as seniority rules everything in the airline industry. As a new hire your boyfriend will be at the back of the commuting list.

If it is only going to be a few months then commuting is certainly fine. If it is going to be any longer I would strongly recommend moving to the domicile.

Chris

Thanks for the information. That is very helpful to know. Hopefully commuting won’t pose too much of a problem for us down the line and we will be able to live where we want.

It is all a tradeoff. If it is worth it to you rwo to live in Florida then you will find ways of managing the commute. I find it to be worth it myself.

@Chris,
Thanks for the advice. I noticed in another post that you are from South Bend, IN and commute to EWR for work. I am actually from Indianapolis and currently live in northern New Jersey, about an hour out from EWR. Small world!

Elaine

Wow, sure is a small world. :slight_smile:

I was recently looking into Silver Airways and noticed on their main website they no longer have destination in the northeast. Airline pilot central still states that new hires go to IAD. I am wondering if it just hasn’t been updated? That might be good news for anyone planning on living in Florida and working for them.

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for sharing that. You are right that Silver’s domiciles have been updated - now they only show Tampa, Orlando, and Fort Lauderdale. Perhaps IAD is only a training base? Interesting to consider, and definitely could prove helpful for those of us in Florida.

I was actuallylooking at this airline as well for the same reasons. Time will tell.

Folks,

There’s much to be said for being home every night and not commuting. BUT, keep in mind you guys are young and IF getting to a Major is your goal, flying across the North American continent in an EMB175 for a Major’s Regional purpose will serve you better. Again nothing wrong with from turbo-prop time but your time (and EXPERIENCE) will be very localized and the Majors know that. There is in fact a pilot shortage but the Majors still aren’t hurting and are still very selective. Just saying.

Adam

1 Like

@Adam,

Good point! Hadn’t considered that, but definitely a good thing to think about for the long haul.