Several Beginner Questions

Hello Everyone,

So, I’ve got a few questions and it looks like I came to the right place. So I am 21 with some assorted college experience, close to an associates but more than 60 credit hours I believe. I am looking to make a switch to aviation ( a childhood dream.)
So I guess my questions are:
(1) How is life as a regional pilot, pay/hours?
(2) While in school (probably ATP based on other forums) how much will you be away from home?
(3) After graduation, do regional airlines make you move to a “hub” city, or do they allow you to commute to where you need to be? I would like to not have to move if possible.
And I guess just any advice or tips if you have any.

-Thank you for your time!

2 Likes

Matt,

First and foremost you really should check out the FAQ section as we answer many common questions there (like how much will I make) but let’s look at yours:

1. For pay, as I said check the FAQs but starting is around $40k (+bonuses) and climbs as you advance. You can also check out Tory’s schedule as he’s a Regional pilot and the further back you go you can see how his schedule has improved with seniority. When you start you’ll be on Reserve and fly when and where the airline needs you to.

2. Depends on the location. If you live at home while you’re on training you’ll be home every night (except during crew and CFI school). If you go to a location away from home not much.

3. No airline makes you live anywhere but it’s your responsibility to get to work on time.

I recommend you do some searching on this forum as all the questions you’ve asked have been discussed away greater length.

Adam

Matt.

1. Please check out the FAQ section and the “Flying the Line” section as these are addressed in depth there.

2. Check out the timeline here: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flight-training-timeline.html. You can click on the “Explore this Stage” buttons for more information on each stage. The bottom line is that you will be away during the Crew Cross Country stage and for CFI Academy, but not much else.

3. You can commute, but I would highly recommend against it. I have commuted for 14 years, it is the only aspect of my career that I regret and wish I had done differently. Commuting is on your own time and it takes a fair amount of it. Those that live in base have a much better home life and far less stress.

Chris

Thank you for the response. I will check out the FAQ section also !