September 2016 Schedule

Ryan,

Let’s jump right to your questions.

1. The hours per leg obviously depends on the length of the leg. A flight from Newark to Hong Kong takes 14 hours, Newark to Norfolk takes an hour.

2. The hours per day also depends on the leg length. A pilot flying short flights could fly several that add up to 6-8 hours, whereas again an international pilot could fly upwards of 14. When flying domestically I typically average 6 hours of flight time per day and about ten hours of duty. We are paid off flight time, not duty time.

3. The flight time clock starts when the doors are all closed and we release the parking brake in preparation for pushback.

4. The time of day can range anywhere on the clock. Airlines are 24 hours per day operations.

5. My airline pays twice per month.

6. We stay in hotels that the airline provides.

7. We are paid an hourly rate called “per diem” when we are on the road that is meant to cover food and travel expenses. It amounts to about $55 per day at my airline.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Chris

1 Like

On the 17th, you spent the entire day at PHX. How often does that happen?

Not particularly often, generally I fly every day on a trip. When I was flying internationally it was fairly common to spend one or more days at the destination before returning back to base.

Chris

Hi Adam,
First time on this site. So much helpful information. Thank you.
I currently fly A330s but I’m looking to move to the States. I’ve got the green card so it’s time to start applying and I’m interested in Hawaiian. Got some questions tho.
I’ve never been to Hawaii and I’m concerned that my family may get ‘island fever’ after a few years. Is it a viable option to commute from the mainland? Any commuter policy since the contract negotiations?
Is there any prospect to being rostered to start a pairing from anywhere other than HNL?

Thanks so much - any info is appreciated.

Barry

Hi Barry,

I actually have this conversation often. Hawaii’s one of those very polarizing places, you either love it or you don’t (I do). As for the “island fever” since we’re pilots we’ve got the advantage we can jump on a plane (with our families) and get off this rock whenever we like. I still have family in NY and I visit often so that’s never been an issue. To take it a little further I’ve observed there are basically 2 reactions/behaviors when you move out here. There are people who spend all their time thinking about what they miss and what they don’t have here and those that focus on the things you do. To me the fact I can play in the water and ride my motorcycle year round FAR outweighs the lousy pizza. Focus on the positive and you’ll do well.

We actually have many pilots that commute from the mainland but it’s not easy and there’s still no commuter policy in the new TA. Fortunately due to the weather flights rarely cancel so that’s not an issue. Since HNL is our only base, all trips start and end here. There are a few that originate from outer islands but again it’s only a few and that wouldn’t help. There has been talk about another West Coast base after we get the 321 Neo’s, but nothing’s set and I can guarantee you that will go super senior.

Other than that it’s a great place to work and the new TA looks promising. Window’s open!

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response. It helps to get some inside information.

Perhaps you can add comment on some other things too. What is the attrition rate like within the airline, and approximately how long does it take to get upgraded to captain? I am also interested in the financial position of the airline…One Alaskan pilot told me that he has heard rumours that Hawaiian is looking for a buyer??? Is that true? I haven’t seen anything that reflects this anywhere?

Thanks

Barry,

Due to Hawaiian’s small size (we only have about 680 pilot’s right now) attrition is small. I had this conversation at a union meeting last week and was told we have about 100 retirements in the next 5 years. Fortunately though with the fleet growing (16 A321 Neos coming plus some other widebody TBA) there is good movement. Right now our most junior CA was hired in 2012 so 5-5.5 is current upgrade (I’m hoping to later in the year). As for our financial health (and I’m no finance wizard) the stock price has quadrupled in the 4 yrs I’ve been here and 2016 was the most profitable in the history of the company. As a smaller carrier there are always merger and takeover rumors and the senior guys have said they’ve heard that for decades but as far as I can say it’s just talk. It’s usually Delta, but lately it’s been JetBlue and SWA. Haven’t heard the Alaska one but I can start spreading that one too :slight_smile:

Adam

Thanks Adam

I have applied…will see if I hear anything back. If I get a call, I’ll be in touch for any advice/tips for the interview process. For my info, do you know much about the simulator check? The profile or scenario they give? Any other info on the selection process appreciated…

Take care

Barry

Barry,

The sim check is really just to make sure you’re a pilot and have some procedures. They use a PC with MS Flt Sim. Simple profile, takeoff, couple of turns, vectors to a hold than an ILS. You’ll have an FO and they want you to use him (good CRM), really nothing to be concerned with. There’s also a cognitive test (keep this moving ball on the computer between 2 points with one hand while answer questions with the other?) which I hear is challenging (it’s new). Can’t really study or prepare just go in and do your best and a psych eval. Biggest element is the pilot panel. They really want to see who you are and if you’ll be a good fit. Do well and nothing else really matters. Just relax and be yourself, you’ll be fine. Oh and tell them you’ve heard wonderful things about my CRM class and can’t wait for that :slight_smile:

Btw, window closes on 3/5 so don’t expect to hear anything before then.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Got the TBNT letter from HAL last week. Disappointing as I have >10,000 ME but I have very low PIC so that could be why. And no degree. Also, coming from South Africa, maybe it is just too great an unknown for them although I have the green card through my American wife.

What about Island Air? Does Hawaiian hire guys out of Island Air? Would that be a viable stepping stone in your opinion?

Your advice very appreciated.
Thanks.

Barry

Sorry Barry.

As you said the lack of a degree and PIC time are probably what downed you. While Hawaiian does hire many Island Air pilots it’s generally those with PIC time AND degrees. I would look into doing something to remedy that.

Adam

Chris,

I have heard that doing 2 or 3 long haul trips (i.e. LAX to HKG) a month can get a pilot 20 days off/month - is this true, and do those trips (in your experience) usually only go to senior pilots?

how were you able to get this many days off in september?

Bob,

That is true, but those trips are extremely senior. I have been at a major airline for ten years and can only just now start to hold such trips (if I were on an airplane that flew them).

I am not sure on the specifics of how I got so many days off, it was almost a year ago. I think that the company might have bought one of my trips from me for training purposes, but I am not sure.

Chris

Bob,

Just to further demonstrate what Chris said, I can hold a Capt slot but a I can’t get near a JFK, ICN or PEK (except on reserve). Those trips are like gold!

Adam

Any examples for TSA, SW, or United based in Denver?

Chris,
I am new to wanting to be a pilot. I’ve only just started researching it as a career. As of right now I am in the military and when I get out I was thinking about becoming a pilot. Right now I’m stationed in New Jersey and I know there is a lot of air traffic on the East Coast. However, I was hoping to move back to Ohio (where I’m originally from), and I was wondering if you know anything about if it’s difficult to get airline pilot jobs in a less busy state like Ohio?

Seth,

First off there’s a fair amount of flying out of CLE, CVG, CMH and DAY. Second even if you didn’t get hired at any of the airlines with bases there it should make commuting fairly easy.

Adam

Seth,

Go to www.pilotjobs.com as you can find a map there that shows the various airline domiciles. You will notice that there are very few pilot bases in Ohio. If your career goal is to be a pilot, you will either need to move away from Ohio, or become a commuter.

Chris

Thank you so much Adam and Chris!

How long are you generally a junior or senior FO/CA? In regionals and majors? I’m sure that is a general and vague question, but how did it work for you?