Real Answers from Real Pilots

September '17 Schedule

(Tory) #1

94 hours. 104 credits. 7 days off. Had quality family time during my Sacramento layovers.

DH = Deadhead
PP = Premium pay
YYC = Calgary

1. (PP) SEA-FAT-SEA-YYC
  2. Rented a car and drove to Banff National Park. Awesome trip!
  3. YYC-SEA-SFO-SEA
  4. SEA-COS-SEA-SMF
  5. SMF
  6. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA, DH to PDX
  7. (PP) PDX-ABQ-SNA-ABQ
  8. (PP) ABQ-PDX
  9. (PP) PDX-MCI-PDX
  10. (PP) PDX-BUR-SJC-PDX, DH to SEA
  11. (PP) SEA-COS-SEA-SMF
  12. SMF
  13. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA
  14. SEA-FAT-SEA-SMF
  15. SMF
  16. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA
  17. SEA-FAT-SEA-SMF
  18. SMF
  19. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA
  20. (PP) SEA-YYC-SEA
  21. SEA-FAT-SEA-SMF
  22. SMF
  23. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA

(Yuran Di Cianni) #2

Talk about a busy schedule! How realistic is it to keep up with a flying schedule like this? Asking from a company, physical, and mental standpoint.

(Tory) #3

This is nothing. You should see a Q400 schedule. Since they fly shorter
distances, those pilots can have up to 5 legs a day.

I’ve only been flying the line for a few months so it’s hard for me to say,
but I have no intentions of slowing down until my debt is paid off.
Mentally and physically, as long as I get my required 10 hours of rest per
day and 30 hours per week, I’m fine.

The company loves anyone who picks up extra time. The union doesn’t. The
union wants the company to restructure the pay scale. When pilots pick up
extra trips for extra money that takes some of the union’s ammunition away
from them.

Tory

(Yuran Di Cianni) #4

Seriously? Nothing? Haha Good to know! 10 hours a day and 30 hours a week is what’s required, but is that realistic rest period? Not entirely sure since I’m not there haha

I think extra time with extra pay is a good thing. Can restructure for more money, but I think it’s fair for what it is. Though, I’m sure Adam and Chris would say things are absolutely amazing given that they flew regionals at a different time haha

Yuran

Yes back when I was at a Regional we had no rest rules! We’d fly 27 legs a day and were only allowed 15min power naps and we had to pump our own fuel into gas cans and walk in our pilot cowboy boots 20mi in the snow to the Gulf station and then hand prop the engines…

Darn kids don’t know how good you have it! :slight_smile:

Adam

Tory is working a lot of hours, I get why he is doing it, but it can be easy to burn out at that rate. I personally have found the optimal combination for me to be about 15 days off per month, which usually nets me about 90 hours of pay.

(Melek Israel) #7

Hello Tory

What do you mean by 104 credits?

(Tory) #8

Let’s remember that I am also single with no kids. I think that makes a
difference. When I have time off I don’t have to focus on anyone else but
myself.

(Tory) #9

Melek,

Credits are equivalent to how many hours that a pilot is paid for. So, I
will fly 94 hours this month, but I will be paid for 104 hours because I
earned 10 extra hours flying premium pay trips. Premium pay is worth 150%
of my hourly wage at Horizon.

Tory

(David) #10

Hello Chris & Tory, I am new here. Just got my ATP financing approved. So I am very excited. I have always wanted to be a pilot. Just wanting to research a little more about schedules. If you have found 15 days of to be the best, I don’t want to burn out, and I have a family. Are there job with schedules like that available to the new guys coming into the regional? I am just wondering what control I would have over my schedule, and it may just depend on the company. Thanks in advance.

David,

Take a look at Tory’s schedule vs Chris’. Chris is a fairly senior pilot at a Major while Tory is a relatively new pilot at a Regional and his will be more typical of what you can expect. You shouldn’t expect more than 12-13 days off for a while.

Adam

(Tory) #12

David,

Most new pilots sit reserve in the beginning. It takes time to build up
your seniority to hold a line, but when you do you should have a minimum of
12 days off. One benefit is not having to take any work home with you. The
lifestyle is very doable. I wouldn’t worry about getting burnt out. The
hardest part is getting through training.

Tory

(Patrick Canler) #13

Training as in… at the airline? Or the training to get to the airline job (aka at ATP)

Patrick

(Tory) #14

Training at ATP is much more difficult than training at the airline, but in
this context I was referring to training at the airline.

Tory

(bob saggot) #15

Tory, do most of your first flights of the day start at 6 am? is it fairly easy to get flights later in the day or does that usually only go high up in seniority?

(Tory) #16

Bob,

This question is hard to answer since what you are awarded is seniority based. Not all trips start at 6am. What I do is ask for trips that start before 6:30a or after 9:30a. That way I can avoid morning rush hour.

Tory

Bob,

While everyone has a preference, I find that most pilots don’t like waking up too early AND later trips are more commuter friendly. Therefore in my experience the later trips do go more senior.

Adam

To Adam’s point, he is correct that most pilots like to be able to commute in day of, but there are some like me that prefer to commute the night before as it is less stressful, so we tend to prefer the early starts.

Chris