8. BZN-SEA, DH to GTF
  9. GTF-SEA
  10. SEA-BIL-PDX-SMF-PDX
  11. PDX-SEA-FCA
  12. Layover in FCA
  13. FCA-SEA-MFR-SEA

(Landon ) #2

Tory,

Just curious, is this a reasonable schedule to expect for a pilot equal to your seniority, at Horizon anyway? I see you had weekends off which is nice!

Thanks,
Landon

Landon,

I’m sure Tory will chime in BUT since Tory flies for Horizon, HIS seniority is well, HIS seniority AND this is HIS schedule I’m thinking the answer is yes it is reasonable :slight_smile:

Adam

(Tory) #4

Landon,

Somewhat. Someone of my seniority, maybe. I’ve been an FO for about a year and a half now. What is not typical is the fact that I’ve been able to hold a line since I finished IOE. New hires are spending about 8 months on reserve.

Tory

(Landon ) #5

Tory,

I see. So you being awarded a line out of IOE means you are able to get better schedules than someone who maybe was hired around the same time but went to reserve instead? Do I understand that correctly? Seniority can be a bit confusing to me, lol.

Thanks!

(Landon ) #6

Adam,

I see what you mean :smile:

Landon

Seniority is actually a very simple concept. If an airline has 1,000 pilots, #1 has been there the longest and #1,000 has been there the shortest. The only way to move up the list is for people senior to you to quit the company, retire, or die. If an airlines is hiring and expanding, the junior guy will not be junior for long because people are getting hired beneath him. If an airline all of a sudden stops hiring, then that last person on the list will be very “junior” until the airline starts hiring again. Somebody hired around the same time as Tory is probably getting very comparable schedules to Tory.

(Tory) #8

Landon,

Not quite. If someone was hired around the same time as me they most likely would have also gotten a line after IOE. That is because when I was hired, Horizon had just ordered 30 ERJs, but the arrival of the jets was slow. We received 1-2 per month. As soon as Horizon met their staffing needs, from then on new hires started filling the reserve slots. The length of time a new hire stays on reserve until holing a line has been slowly increasing because we’ve reached the end of our ERJ deliveries and doubled our staffing since I stared last year.

Tory

(Landon ) #9

Chris and Tory,

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation!

Take care.