Safety

Dear Pilots and Students,

I have been researching and came across some forums that say the program is not 2 years but takes longer. Does that vary person to person or ATP management? Also some forums suggest that ATP instructors are not quality to instructors and do not care about instructing? Is this something that is true because I plan to join ATP flight school in Long Island, NY and was just worried about investing money this program hoping it is a safe school with all due respect to ATP.

Please Advise.

Thank You!

Manpreet,

The internet is a wonderful but there’s also people that claim the Earth is flat so sometimes you have to take things with a grain of salt. But let’s talk.

First the program is not 2 years it’s 9mos. and has been for years. After you complete your training you’ll need to instruct to build the required 1500 hours to fly for an airline. You’ll finish the program with about 250 hrs do you’ll need to build approx. 1250hrs. The average ATP instructor flies approx 75hrs a month. 1250/75=16mos+9mos training = 25mos. So yes on the average it does take a little over 2yrs to get to an airline. That said there are plenty of people who finish in less.

Next, doesn’t matter if you go to ATP, Riddle or Joe’s School of Basket Weaving and Aviation, EVERYONE must pass an FAA checkride. If they’re instructing that means they passed and the FAA doesn’t just hand Instructor Certificates out to anybody. As for caring let me ask you a question. Are you going to ATP to be a flight instructor? You’ve asked questions in the past about the airlines so I’m assuming that’s what you want to do but to get there you’ll probably need to instruct. Is that your goal? Probably not. Are you excited about flight instructing? Probably not but that doesn’t mean you don’t care or you’ll do a poor job. That goes for just about every instructor in the country.

ATP has been training pilots for the airlines for over 30 yrs and has placed over 600 pilots with the airlines in the last 12mos alone. If what you read were true I think the word would be out by now.

Adam

3 Likes

Adam… So while gaining the flight hours “The average ATP instructor flies approx 75hrs a month. 1250/75=16mos+9mos training = 25mos”… In that time, would I still be eligible for ATP housing while I’m working as a CFI gaining my hours?

Yes a lot of instructors elect to stay at ATP housing

Cool Cool! music to my ears thanks Joshua! If it cool to ask, which location are you attending Joshua

PAE is my location!

1 Like

Joshua you Started with “ZERO TIME” or “Private Pilot” before entering the program?

Zero time. Well sorta, I came in with 35 hours but no PPL!

1 Like

Good Luck buddy!

Thanks! I just finished crew

1 Like

STRIVE FOR GREATNESS! Keep it up :raised_hands:t4:

1 Like

Manpreet,

The program is designed to take nine months. It can be sometimes be a bit longer, or even a bit shorter, but generally speaking it takes nine months. The instructing time can vary. but most people are able to complete the total program at around two years.

Yes, there are detractors on the internet, you will find that anywhere. I encourage you to check out the student experiences section of this forum as there you will see unedited experiences from many students sharing their thoughts on ATP.

Chris

1 Like

Adam,

I see what you mean Adam, I assume it depends on how much you fly each month and of course other factors such as weather etc. I currently have 0 hrs of flying experience and am limited to either ATP or Academy of Aviation in Farmingdale, NY, which is a part 141 school. I just wanted to get all the info on the program before investing a large amount of money into the program. If I join the program I most likely would like to instruct with ATP. There is way too much information out there floating around from various sources so I just wanted to be sure before making a commitment. What is your say on choosing a part 61 or part 141 program?

Thank You!

Manpreet

Chris,

I also wanted your advice on choosing a Part 141 school that is advertising that 1500 hrs can be reached in 1.5 years. Would you recommend a part 141 program?

Thank You!

Manpreet

Manpreet,

This is discussed in the FAQ section but the short answer is ATP would not be able to offer accelerated training if they were Part 141. Part 61 offers tremendous latitude and allows the training to be accelerated based on the students abilities.

Adam

Manpreet,

I have trained under part 141 and am not a fan of it. 141 is typical of a government run program. It imposes all sorts of ridiculous restrictions on the flight school and provides very little flexibility. Often times it ends up taking much longer than it should. I think it would be darn near impossible to get 1,500 hours in 1.5 years and even if one did, the flying would be so accelerated that I would question the safety behind it.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

Thank you for letting me know. I will do further research into the flight school and its advertisement.

Thank You!

Manpreet

Adam,

I see Adam. Part 141 schools I believe differ from ATP in that self study is a huge make or break at ATP and Part 141 schools have a lot of ground school.

Thank You!

Manpreet

Manpreet,

Let’s be perfectly clear, any flight school is going to involve a huge amount of self study, as does training at the airlines.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for the feedback. Does 141 training allow you to get an R-ATP or do you have to be a graduate of aeronautical science program?

Manpreet