Reserve Question

When a pilot is on reserve, how is it determined the ratio of short call outs vs long call outs? I see some of the posted schedules of what a reserve month looks like after it’s complete, but what does it look like before? How do you know what days (or times) you will be on short call out, or long call out? Does the airline provide the callout schedule the month before similar to a line? Thanks!

Jeff,

As with so many things in this industry the answer can vary from airline to airline. In most cases you’ll bid days off (just like the lineholders). When the lines are published the Reserve lines will be as well so you’ll know your days off and on Reserve a few weeks prior to the beginning of the month. Some airlines will allow pilots to bid long call or short call and even am or pm call out times, some do not. Those that don’t will assign long or short based on the airlines need, seniority or the pilots preference (if possible). I’m currently on a string of pm short calls which I really don’t like but at the beginning of the month I had it easy with am’s and wasn’t used much so I can’t really complain.

Adam

Jeff,

At my airline we all start as long call, but then can be converted to short call with twelve hours of notice. After the third conversion they have to start paying us an additional hour of pay per conversion, so it usually stops at three.

Every airline is different though and it can really vary between airlines.

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Just making sure I am understanding…please set me straight where I am wrong. A typical reserve schedule will have a set amount of hard off days based on contract, perhaps 10-12? The remaining days would be all on call days…perhaps all long call, or some long and short depending on airline…with the makeup of hard off days and reserve days created by the airline in a schedule the month before but bid by the pilot based on seniority?

Jeff,

Your understanding is spot on. Minimum days off at my airline is twelve days per month.

Chris

1 Like