Requirements for Commercial Pilot

I’m pursuing my Studies in High School(11 SCIENCE). I would like someone to guide me on getting me into a good commerce pilot school and requirements to get there!

Thanking You

Enrique.

1 Like

Hi Enrique,

There are a couple of ways to go? Are you talking about an University with an aviation program or a Career Pilot program after you graduate from college? ATP (which in my opinion is the best flight school in the country) requires either a Private Pilot license or a college degree. I generally recommend you complete your education and get a degree as that’s a requirement to fly for the Majors. It really depends on what you have in mind.

Btw you don’t mention if you have any flight experience (and no I’m not talking about sitting in the back as a passenger). If the answer is no the first thing you need to do is take an intro flight. While many people believe they want to be pilots if you haven’t been up you simply don’t know.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Thank you for replying to my message. I have no experience. I stay in San Diego. I would like to know which Major Airline has Lindbergh Feild International Airport as it’s pilots home base or domicile? How could I make it my domicile ? Also what are the important test I’m supposed to be undergoing? Do I have restrictions on anything?

Thank you

Enrique.

1 Like

Enrique,

There are no airlines that have bases in San Diego, the closest is LAX.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the rest of your questions. Could you please clarify?

Chris

What would be the different body tests I would have to undergo? And if
possible could you send me your contact number?

Enrique,

You would need to undergo an FAA first class medical exam. Go to the FAS’s website and look under “Airmen Certification” for more on that.

We are not able to give out our phone numbers. If you have questions that you would like to ask over the phone you can call the ATP admissions department at 800-255-2877

Enrique,

There are actually quite a few exams you’ll need to complete during training. These include practical (flight), oral and written exams for each phase of your training. You’d need to Private and Commercial licenses (3 exams each) plus multi and instrument (another 6) and then you’re Instructor ratings (2 writtens, LONG oral and 3 more practicals) all before you get near an airline. It’s fairly extensive.

Adam

First I would like to thank each one of you taking your time and giving us most helpful advice and I thank you for being true.
my first question is does associate degree in engineering work in this case or it’s has to be a bachelor’s degree
And preferably in what or any is accepted
currently going to a community college for my pre engineering and transferring my credit to OSU for my aerospace engineering program which takes about five year’s
my major dream is to be professional pilot
There is no ATP here in Ohio the closest is in Louisville which is still far

1 Like

Lidia,

For the major airlines you will need a four year degree, for the regionals there is no requirement at all for a degree. Transferring from a community college to a university is completely acceptable, many people do that.

Chris

2 Likes

Lidia,

You’re talking 5yrs total, not 5 more from what you have right?

Adam

Hi Adam yeah five years in total for the degree but four if you are a transfer

They say 5 as a very laid back number. I could’ve finished in 3.5 but I decided to finish up wth two easier semesters of 16 and 13 hours respectively. If you put in the work it’s definitely possible to get out in 3.5-4 years. I added a couple classes my senior year in order to get a minor in business as well. Good luck!

1 Like

Kcbaker
and now that you have your degree in aerospace engineering or currently doing your degree
do you think it would contribute a lot to your flight training understanding skills besides for hiring purposes with the international airlines :slight_smile:

It helps immensely! The aerodynamics classes give you such a better understanding than the FAA sponsored books as they go into much more detail. This makes the written tests much easier. Also, as you learn things in class, you have the option that no one else in your class has to go up flying and test the principles out to actually get a feel of how they work. During my private license training, my instructor was working to prepare for his ATP written and I was actually help to teach him things that were on the test that he didn’t have a good grasp of.
This major is not easy, you will practically lose your social life and you will be spending multiple hours working on homework or studying every single day. I complain about it a lot, but it’s one of the best choices I’ve made. The professors are great and if you tell them you’re interested in flying you make some really good friends. This major has allowed me to take what the FAA requires you to learn for licensing and push it to the next level early in your training. One piece of advice for it: Don’t give up when it gets tough, push through because it’s worth it to finish up.
Kamrin

1 Like

Dear mentors I salute you for your mentorship , it has been an invaluable gift

Kcbaker Thank you for your words of encouragement and support.where did you do your bachelor’s?
And how far are you with the training now

I have 6 weeks left til I graduate. I’m at West Virginia University. I currently have my PPL and about 125 hours. I start at ATP Tampa in June.

Lidia,

Kamrin offers some great perspective and advise. All my studies were in Human Factors so while I understand why pilots “behave” as they do I still think airplanes fly using magic :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Adam,
So do we! Our teachers asked that my freshman year and said all our answers were wrong because we don’t really know. He showed the standard “magic” meme that is on the internet. They always say tht that is one of the million dollar questions.

2 Likes