Regionals

Dear Pilots,

I am definitely thinking about getting my degree online while working at the regionals. I was wondering if there is a recommended college I should get my degree from online? If you travel all over the nation, what college would display? What if some days you are busier than others? How would you be able to be consistent?
Anybody out there with an online degree experience would be awesome!

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan,

We ar not able to recommend any specific colleges. I would research any one in particular that you are looking at, paying special attention to their accreditation. I am not sure what you mean by: “what college would display?” can you clarify that?

Chris

Chris,
Sorry about my words as I can be confusing sometimes lol! I meant like if you received a degree online, and you had to use that degree as a backup career, when you applied for a job, would they be able to tell if you got your degree online or not and could they see where? I would be a meteorologist as a backup career as a pilot and if I got my degree online, it would help me move quicker in the airlines, but is it a good quality degree that I would get? Would that be an advantage for someone else who wanted to be a meteorologist but had a degree in person versus online? Because ultimately, you want to get a degree you might use but in this case online would allow you to move quicker up the ladder.

Dylan

Dylan,

You would really need to speak to a meteorologist about that one. I can say that a degree from Notre Dame is going to be thought of much better than a degree from Phoenix Online in any circle out there.

Chris

Chris,

Personally, I believe if you are going to be a pilot, you need to get a degree in AS. Would you agree? Is an online degree looked down upon to the regionals or majors? Would it hurt the chances of getting a job?
Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan - I obtained a degree online from Colorado State University and nothing on my transcript or diploma says online. An online degree program is just as valued as an on campus program if earned from a reputable college or university.

1 Like

Danielle,
What degree did you obtain from CSU? Would you say it is the same quality?

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan,

Most pilots that I know do not have a degree in AS. I have a business administration degree, which is common amongst pilots. I have known other pilots to have all sorts of majors, it really doesn’t matter.

I think that as long as the degree is from a well respected school that the mode in which you obtained it won’t matter.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Do you recommend a particular regional airline to work with? Which one pays the best?

Dylan

Dylan,

First year FOs at the regionals are currently earning $36-40 per hour. You
can take a closer look at each regional airline’s pay scale here:
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional

Tory