Regionals to Majors Question

I have been reading how many pilots won’t actually make it to flying for one of the big 4 airlines and end up flying Regionals their entire Career.

I was curious if it was equally hard for pilots with a lot of experience flying regionally in the US to get hired on with Chinese Airlines like Sichuan Airline or Qindao Airlines or similar types of foreign Companies . Those companies seem to pay as much as the Big 4 and is that something attainable and or common for US regional pilots ?

1 Like

David,

I have some friends who fly for Chinese airlines. The main issue is if you look many of them require type ratings and experience in larger aircraft. In order to get that it generally means flying for a Major so it’s kind of a catch 22. That said you could go over and fly an RJ and work your way up the ranks as an alternative. Just know while the pay is comparable the work rules are not nor is there any union protection.

Adam

1 Like

David,

I disagree with your initial assertion. I find that the majority of pilots that wish to work for the majors, and do not have skeletons in their closet, end up doing so. It might take a few years, but most make it.

Flying for the Asian airlines can be just as competitive and most people end up coming back to the US as the contracts and job security are not nearly what they are here.

Chris

Thank you this is all very helpful information

That or horrible reputations at their current and/or previous airline. One too many calls into the chief pilot’s office can destroy your career.

Tory

What would you say is generally something that could cause a call to the chief pilot?

Edit: Removed incorrect and misleading information, thanks for the correction. What I had assumed was wrong after looking at it more and originally dealt with expat tax workings, which are also of no concern in this context.

Not sure where you’re getting your info from but that’s completely not true.

Adam

Ya that doesnt seem accurate.

It’s not, edited to remove misleading info. Thanks for the call out.

On topic though, what would you say is generally something that could cause a call to the chief pilot?

Caleb,

That list is long. The easy ones are violations of the “house rules”. All airlines have them and they’re clearly spelled out in the manuals. They can vary but it’s usually things like the following:

Harassment of any kind
Fail to follow directions from a supervisor
Failure to follow company safety/security guidelines
ANYTHING drug or alcohol related incl refusal of a drug test
Gambling
Use or vulgar language
Excessive absence or tardiness
Stealing company property
Falsification or dishonesty of any kind
Sleeping in public view
Failure to work with others
Unauthorized disclosure of confidential information
Conduct or communication that disparages the company
Carelessness, negligence, mischief or horseplay
Failure to cooperate in an investigation
Failure to report an accident or incident
ANY unlawful conduct
Violation of company dress code
Smoking in prohibited areas
Any firearm/weapon violation
Fraudulent or improper use of pass travel
And of course: ANY UNPROFESSIONAL, IMMORAL, INDECENT OR INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR

Adam

I’m mainly referring to the stubborn pilots that find ways to make their lives harder than they need to be. Word spreads fast. Unprofessionalism is an easy one. All it takes is one complaint to be filed against you and the chief pilot is obligated to have a conversation with you.

This brings up another point that’s worth mentioning too. We also live in a new era where people are more likely to report you to a superior than confront you privately. Just something to be aware of.

Tory

I wholeheartedly agree with Tory and its truly sad and unfortunate. As a union rep I get ALOT of calls from pilots complaining about another pilot or from the Chief informing me of a situation brought to their attention. My first question to the accuser is always “did you speak with them (the other pilot) and try and work it out?”. 99 times out of 100 the answer is no.

It seems unless they’re doing it anonymously online, no one has a spine.

Adam

This is actually nice to know. I’m going to try to keep this in mind when I work for an airline and problems arise. So that I can actually have the conversation to work shit out. Especially because I know that if what I did bugged someone, I’d want to know to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

No gambling? :open_mouth::open_mouth: so much for the layover in Vegas! JK Adam