Regarding bases and such

Would I be able to choose my home base when applying for an airline? For example, if I’m living in one state and plan on moving to another, I’d obviously have to switch airlines. Would the correct course of action be to notify whatever airline I’d be applying for that I plan on moving to one of their bases? For example, Alaska Airlines is based in a few locations, one of which is Anchorage. If I moved there and told them I’m moving there, would they tell me I’d probably have to relocate to Seattle instead? Or would I be able to move to ANC and not worry about relocating?

John,

You need to realign your expectations. Base assignments are first and foremost about the airline’s needs. Your needs will always be second. If an airline made exceptions for all of their employees, they wouldn’t be able to properly staff their unpopular bases. Getting the base you want requires either luck and/or enough seniority. Seniority will allow you to place bids for things like aircraft type, seat position, base, schedule, vacation, etc.

Tory

I see, so if they accept your application and you get hired, they will assign a base, correct?

John,

The airline will assign you a base based on THEIR needs, not yours. Now it is possible when you get hired, IF there are multiple vacancies to have a choice but that’s a maybe. As for you “notifying” them that you’re moving frankly the airline could care less if you live a block away or in another continent. Your responsibility is to get to work on time and well rested. How you accomplish that is entirely on you. Different airlines have different methods of base assignment but it’s always based on seniority. Periodically they will have vacancy bids where you can bid for the base you want. If you’ve got the seniority you’ll hold it, if not you won’t. In some cases you could even be displaced. Until you gain seniority you need to be somewhat flexible.

Adam

Understood. So the more desired a place is by many people, the more seniority is required.

1 Like

Initially, yes. They may ask what your preferred base is, but if your preferred base is full, they will assign you where they need you. New hires typically get junior bases. You can place your bid for your preferred base at any time. There are too many variables to predict the likelihood that your bid will be honored. Traditionally, you have more bidding power as you gain more seniority. Bottom line, new hires have to be flexible.

Tory

John,

When you are hired by (not when applying to) an airline, you will bid on your base in your class seniority order. If you do not get the base you want, you can bid for it whenever the company has system bids or vacancy bids, which usually happen a few times per year and is the mechanism for pilots to be able to change bases or equipment. Even then you might not be able to get your desired base for some time, until your seniority allows for it.

In the case of my airline, SFO and EWR are rather junior and new hire pilots can easily get assigned there. DEN can take a few years to get into and CLE is almost impossible as it is a very small, senior base. As with everything in aviation, seniority rules the day.

Chris

Thanks for that clarification, too.

Thanks to everyone for their responses!

Hey guys,

I’m currently researching/considering the career change to the airlines.

My big question is, when you are assigned a base, A) how often does your base change, and B) is it practical to move closer to your assigned base while working for a regional airline?

About us… we know that the commute on the front and back end of trips is a thing, we would just look to minimize it. We don’t have kids or own a home. My wife doesn’t love Colorado (I don’t get it). She would jump at the chance to move back to the east coast.

Daniel,

Bases generally only change if you want them to, although sometimes airlines do downsize or close a base.

I would absolutely recommend moving to near your base, whether it is for a regional or major does not matter. There is no reason to commute if you don’t have to.

Daniel,

As Chris said bases don’t usually change, unless of course you want them to. Every airline has junior and senior bases but just how junior or senior they are can vary considerably with the airline and your relative seniority AND the amount of movement. While I agree with Chris that commuting should be avoided if possible, you don’t want or need to chase it.

For example when I first got hired at ExpressJet EWR was the most junior base, IAH was next and CLE was senior. We all got EWR at first as newhires. I was stoked being from NY but many were not. Fortunately there was a ton of movement (people getting hired, upgrading etc.). The guys who wanted IAH really only had to wait a few months before they got it. Those guys sucked it up and commuted got those few months because they knew it shouldn’t be long. The pilots who wanted CLE however knew it could be a while and some did move. I have a friend at JetBlue who’s BOS based and lives in FL. I asked him when he thinks he’d be able to hold Capt in FL and he said never. It’s just too senior and those guys aren’t going anywhere. He has no desire to live in BOS so he commutes.

When the time comes you need to look at what’s going on at the airline you fly for, see the available bases and make a decision based on the information at that time.

Adam

Adam, Chris,

Solid advice. Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. I know it’s quite far down the road, but something to think about. I’ll certainly pop in with more questions as they come up.

Please do, that is what we are here for.

Chris