Ready to Go

Hello there,

For the past several months I have been doing my homework on the ATP, and was trying to align everything. Finally, I got everything ready to go, and now just waiting to schedule my intro flight. Can’t wait to be done with school (receive my BS) and begin the program in August! I am just wondering if having a BS in Aeronautics and speaking 3 languages will benefit me in the future pilot’s career? Thank you

John,

Don’t get me wrong, a college degree and three languages are great things, but the languages won’t do much for you as English is the official language of aviation and is the only language spoken in US cockpits.

The degree makes you eligible to work for a major airline once you have an appropriate amount of flight time, but an aeronautics degree won’t to anything more for you than a business, finance, etc degree will do.

Chris

John,

The degree might help you AFTER you get hired if you have any aspirations to get into the Training Dept or something similar. While the 3 languages is impressive and will probably make you popular on overnights, it won’t help you when it comes to being a pilot. Now if you want to be a flight attendant… :slight_smile:

Adam

Chris,

Thank you for your input. I understand all of that. However, I think that aeronautical degree will benefit in all aspects, especially in the areas of aerodynamics, safety and CRM, etc.

John,

I don’t believe Chris was saying an aeronautical degree won’t benefit you as a pilot. He’s simply saying it won’t help you get hired any faster.

Adam

John,

Of course it will help in those areas. I thought you were asking about it from a career progression standpoint.

Chris

Ok, thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

Adam,
Thank you for the response. It definitely helps to get an input from experienced pilots who knows what it is truly like working in the field.