Real Answers from Real Pilots

Race to 1500

(Chris Hawthorne) #1

After getting your license, how long does it generally take to get to 1500 hours? I’ve read that some instructors travel to different schools in order to expedite the process but with a family I’m not sure that will be feasible for me. The Mrs. can handle me being gone, however I don’t want to be away from my little girl!

Hey Chris,

Obviously it depends on how much you fly and obviously that depends on how busy your flight school is which is another good reason to look at ATP. ATP is one of the busiest flight schools in the country which is why you want to train there so you can work there. Hours vary from location to location, time of year etc but 75 hrs a month is a good average. You’ll finish you training with approx. 300 hrs leaving about 1200 at 75 per month = 16mos (give or take). 5 mos for training is where they come up with he zero time to a Regional in under 2yrs. Hopefully there’s an ATP near by? If not it’s not the end of the world but it might take longer.

Adam

(Chris Hawthorne) #3

The AZ ATP is actually 10 minutes from my house. I’m going to start in November but I wish it was tomorrow!

(Eric) #4

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Chris,

It is a race to 1,500 hours, but make sure you take time to enjoy it too. I look back on my days of instructing as some of the most fun that I have had in aviation. I got to fly with some great people and learned so much along the way. There is a certain freedom that flying a small airplane brings to you, take a few moments to just enjoy it from time to time.

Chris

(Chris Hawthorne) #6

I’m definitely looking forward to the journey but am eager for the payoff at the same time! With starting as late in life as I am and everything being so seniority based, I’m eager to join the frey.