Questions before starting ATP

Hi there I plan on starting ATP in the fallish I’m thinking
(Starting with my PPL) and have a few questions.

1. Do you sign up before I complete my PPL or do I have to wait until after I finish? I just don’t want a long gap from when I get it until starting at ATP
  2. Regarding the student housing since its per week do we pay for the time when we’re away on trips?
  3. What do most students do for housing? Do they choose the one threw ATP or find other options?
  4. Do all the housings include a parking space?
  5. With the state of the world I’m a little nervous about starting right now and not having a job upon graduating especially since its no longer a guarantee. Should I wait for training till everything picks back up?

Abigail,

1. The sooner you enroll the better chance you have of getting the start date you want. I wouldn’t want a long gap either but keep in mind if you want credit for your PPL you must not only have it in hand, you must have at least 78hrs of flight time. If you don’t ATP can help you finish up for but there will obviously be additional charges.

2. I don’t believe so but please check with ATP admin to be certain.

3. It’s a mix. I personally found it very beneficial to stay in the housing. Having other pilots in different phases mentoring eachother definitely helped me.

4. Yes

5. You may get different opinions but honestly I believe right now is the perfect time to start. While no one knows for certain, I keep hearing 2yrs for a full recovery. Once there is the airlines will need pilots. While your right there’s no longer a guaranteed job, the current situation will most certainly thin the herd of new starts. You could be one of those who waits and be at the back side of the wave when things fire up again. The difference is the pilots at the front end of hiring waves are also the ones who avoid furlough when the next downturn hits if there is one.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply that was super helpful. Just a calcification I will for sure have the 78 hours by the time I start ATP but do I have to have the PPL and 78 hours before I can even apply or on hand for when I start?

Abigail,

No you do not. Again I’d apply, get the finances done etc earlier than later (at least 3mos as a guide).

Adam

Abigail,

How far along are you in your PPL training? How many hours do you currently have?

To clarify a point, you will pay for housing any time your things are there. So if you are in the cross country phase and you go out on a three day trip, obviously some of your things will still be in the housing and thus you will be paying rent. The housing is just like any other housing you would rent, you start paying when you start using it and you finish paying when you move out completely.

As for if now is the right time to start training or not, I personally think it is a great time. During uncertain times like this, many people will put off training, waiting for things to be perfect for them to pursue their dreams. Those people will end up way behind in their careers compared to those who start now, finish their training, build their time and are eligible for the airlines as soon as hiring begins. Both Adam and I trained during a downturn in the industry. The timing has actually worked out to be rather beneficial for us.

Chris

I have about 50 hours (I was at 20 hours and about to solo then everything shut down for 3 months so coming back I had to relearn kind of) I will be doing my cross country next week and then I have to do my night hours.
Thank you for clarifying that it definitely makes sense. I agree with the timing and think it’s a good time to start because as Adam said my prediction is also that in 2 years there will be such a demand for pilots. I’m just hoping I won’t have to much trouble finding a job afterwards but that would be with any career!
I’m still struggling on which location to pick and the weather effects at different places.

Abigail,

Predicting the weather is almost as bad as trying to forecast this industry. Pick a location that works for you based on convenience or simply to scratch the “I’ve always thought it be cool to live in XYZ”. ALL locations have unique weather, airspace etc. Don’t over think it.

Adam

Abigail,

Have you thought of finishing up your PPL at ATP? While not listed on the website, ATP does offer private finish up options. Call the Admissions department for more information on this.

I would recommend picking the location that is most convenient for you and not giving it much more thought beyond that. ATP has been in business for a long time, they put locations at places that work, they would not out a location someplace where weather is going to be a huge factor. Pick the one that works best for you.

Chris

I’m still working as an FA at the moment and want to continue to do so while I finish up my PPL, plus I like my current instructor for it, but thanks for letting me know that option!
What about the difference in size of the ATP school, does that effect things ever?

Abigail,

Not necessarily. The location size isn’t supposed to be a factor. The location will be staffed accordingly and the program is the same across the board. Locations can also fluctuate in size depending on demand.

Tory

Can I know how it will begin schedules for every class started because I am an online student and also how tuition payment with being like?

Abraham,

What do you mean by “how it will begin schedules for every class started?” Classes start every Monday, but they fill up so your start date may be a few months from the time you call to enroll.

Here’s a link explaining tuition reimbursement
https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/tuition-reimbursement.html

Tory

Abraham,

ATP is a fulltime flight school and does not offer online instruction.

Adam