Questions about CFI

Hi guys,

These are general questions regarding CFI’s.

1)When you start the airline pilot program, do you get assigned the same instructor for the entire 9 months?

2)Or do you get different instructors for the different levels/steps of the program?

1. Is it common that let’s say your CFI completes his/hers 1500 hours during your training and they leave for an airline and then you have to get a new one?

2. Once you become a CFI on average how many students you train while completing your 1500 hours?

I’m just thinking and this goes back to my first question, if you get the same students for the whole 9 months based on how far into the 1500 hours you are or if you just get different students every week/month.

I couldn’t really find answers to those questions while searching and reading the forums.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

If your instructor left for a regional then ya you would get a new instructor. Another example of when you might get a new instructor is possibly if they became the lead at your location. My instructor for PPL became the lead about halfway or so, and so I stayed with him as my instructor for PPL then I switched to another instructor so he could have less students to focus on his remaining ones as well as due lead duties

1 Like

Randy,

1/2/3) Generally you will have the same instructor throughout but as Joshua pointed out, should your instructor get hired elsewhere or get a promotion than l then of course you would not. Also for your CFI training you will have a different instructor (and relocate to a CFI training center). To perform initial CFI instruction you must be a 2yr CFI which most ATP instructors are not since they generally move on before then.

1. That can vary, particularly since ATP is also doing add-on ratings again. It’s really more about the hours and most ATP CFIs build approx 75hrs a month.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the responses guys!
I have a better understanding now.

At my location, I kept my first instructor for Private and Instrument, and then got a new instructor for Commerical. I expect to get a third for multi engine commerical. I could have requested my original instructor for Commerical, but I think getting more different experiences with help me become a better CFI.

1 Like

I would also point out that at the airlines it is common to have a different instructor everyday.

Oh that’s good to know!
Do you think it makes a difference switching instructors or you feel it’s the same pace since the program it’s kind of standardized?

Chris,

I didn’t know that, so in your opinion it makes sense to have different instructors during flight school in order to be somehow ready for the airlines training?

My pace has slowed down a little, mostly due to weather and studying for the next written exams. Overall, the pace should stay about the same.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you for the information!

And good luck to you with the program!

Randy,

I would not over think whether you switch instructors or not. If you have a good one that you stick with for a while, that is great. If you have different ones, that can be good, too as you will learn different things from each one. Either way, it will work out.

Chris

Thank you Chris!

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

1 Like

I had the same instructor for my instrument and commercial. We have a designated instructor for Seminole training. Once I go back for my CFII I’ll have my original instructor.