Question on AME 1st class medical exam

I am an aspiring student. Being a pilot has been a childhood dream, but I am worried that my elevated BMI (over weight) might bring grounds of elimination.
Will my weight stop me from achieving my dream ?

Grace,

An high BMI will not disqualify you for a First Class Medical. HOWEVER, a high BMI (over 35) will place you in an “at risk” category for sleep apnea and THAT will disqualify you if you test positive (and there’s a good chance your AME will require one). None of us are AME’s here and we always suggest you consult one for more qualified answers.

You don’t say how old you are and far be it from me to get preachy but maintaining good health is a requirement to keep your job as a pilot and trust me the older you get it doesn’t get any easier. If you truly do want to not only fulfill your dream AND continue to do so you will need to address your weight issues.

Adam

Grace,

It’s a possibility, but you’re better off consulting with an AME about your concerns. Plus, there are many other medical standards a pilot has to meet.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/

I don’t even see BMI specifically mentioned in that list, but blood pressure is. Plus, some flight schools (like ATP) have weight restrictions due to weight and balance concerns.

Ultimately, if you want to fly for an airline you will need to possess (and maintain) a First Class Medical Certificate. The only way to know for sure if you can hold one is by submitting yourself to the medical exam. A list of Examiners nearest you can be found on the FAA’s website.

Tory

Grace,

You would really need to consult with a FAA medical doctor on this one as we are not able to give medical advice on this forum.

Chris

I am 23.

Grace,

While I’m not saying it’s simple, trust me it’s easier to get healthy at 23 than at 53.

Adam