Question about training length of time

Is the training set to 9 months flat or is it based on the individuals learning speed?

I have been in contact with someone in admissions and I have received 2 different answers on this question.

Background: I have 33 flight hours and I have a trip to Brazil planned and paid for next summer. I once asked admissions if it was a set amount of time or did it vary, and I was told it was a set amount of time. I later emailed the same person back and asked if I started by a specific month, would I be done by a certain date, and I was told “The program is individual so I don’t know the exact date you would end.” So if I had my FAA written tests done and I had read through the ground school books for PPL/IFR/MULTI-ENGINE/Commercial, could I expect, for example, I might be able to get through in 8.5 months instead of 9?

Ray,

Here’s the deal, the program is 9mos., give or take a few weeks. The reason for the fluctuations has little to do with you and your abilities and is really a function of logistics. The 2 biggest factors being weather and examiner availability. Not sure if you’re aware but the program was 6 mos and ATP was forced to lengthen it do to the shortage of FAA examiners available. If you’re willing to fly some weekends, the examiners are available and the weather behaves you should have no problem finishing 2 weeks early BUT. The short answer is I’d be much more comfortable with you trying to move you start date up than you counting on finishing early.

Adam

Thanks Adam!

Since I am married with a family and own a home, we are thinking we may wait until after the Brazil trip next summer, in order to give us time to prepare for a move and sell the house and such. Given that time length before starting, I am trying to find what I can do to prepare myself as much as possible and do anything I can to aid in successfully completing the schooling. I am not concerned with getting done early for anything except amount of time I won’t be working, I just curious about the timing since it seemed I got 2 different answers. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

You might be able to finish in 8.5 months, you might not. It depends on your ability, weather, maintenance, instructor and examiner availability, etc. Most of these things are out of your control. The program is advertised as nine months, plan on that.

Ray,

There really isn’t much you can do this far out. Once you pick a start date, then you can get serious and start studying.

Chris