Preparation to take on the airlines

Hey pilots!

I recently got my Private Pilot’s License and have been enjoying it. I’m now going to Auburn this fall to get the rest of my ratings so I can get to the airlines.

Even though I have my PPL, it doesn’t stop me from becoming a tad bit nervous on things like a high crosswind landing. I may be in the same boat as a lot of others, but I guess it’s just because I don’t have a lot of experience because I’m only private.

Does the Instrument rating, commercial rating, etc. prepare you to fly a plane with full confidence? Do you pilots just find your jobs as just an everyday routine?

Thanks.

Andrew,

With experience you build skill and skill creates confidence. Cross-wind landings are the bane of many pilots. I also believe a huge part of that is psychological. When I was instructing I had many students who as soon as they heard the wind direction followed by the words “gusting to…” you could see their knuckles turn white. With some I even got into the practice of not letting them listen to ATIS and would simply say “you’ve got a slight left x-wind” and they’d be rockstars. It’s simply of matter of being confident in your ability to put the plane where you want it but that of course is easier said then done.

Many people actually call the PPL a license to learn to fly and I agree. With hours and experience you should improve. If not it’s cool, you’ll just be that one pilot at your airline who everyone talks about because every airline has at least one :wink:

Adam

Hey Adam.

Thanks for the insight. I do believe the PPL is in fact “A license to learn”.

Andrew,

Confidence comes with time and experience. It would be foolish to have confidence now as you really do not have that much flight time. As you continue to fly, you will gain the experience needed to be more confident. I will be honest, I still take a few extra seconds to think about a crosswind landing, a low visibility approach, etc. Part of that is just being a good pilot.

Chris

Andrew,

It’s totally okay to set your own personal minimums until you’re confident and competent enough to take an airplane to its maximum crosswind limitation.

When I first learned how to fly I used three simple questions to assess risk.

Is it legal?

Is it safe?

Am I comfortable?

As you progress in your training your confidence and competence will naturally increase. It’s okay to be where you’re at now.

Tory

Hey pilots.

Thanks for your advice!