Plane Rental - Practice

I am curious about the ability to borrow or rent planes for weekends at a time during the training period. Are we able to take planes for cross country flights to achieve those hours and skills? Curious if while in the program, can fly somewhere, stay for the weekend and return to school. I do understand this would depend on inventory of planes, and probably other factors. I am just curious if this is something that is done.

1 Like

Jordan,

Definitely not possible. ATPs planes are for training and flights associated with the program only. They do not rent planes nor allow them to be taken. Even if they did the planes are usually booked solid with training.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks Adam. Definitely helpful. Simply seeking to better understand, as I am later in life than when I would think would be appropriate to begin this path. The work/life balance conversation (stopping everything I have at home) to move forward has me at a stand still. Just wanted to understand if there was a way to balance flight to ‘weekends’ at home scenario.

Perhaps age is a limiting belief for me… is 32 too late to begin this journey?

Jordan,

33 is actually the average starting age for most airline pilots so you’re actually a year ahead of that and far from late. This is not a race and trust me you’ll value your down time on the weekends during the program. Once you begin instructing you’re more than welcome to volunteer to fly weekends with willing students and increase your time.

Adam

1 Like

Jordan,

Even though ATP doesn’t allow their planes to be rented, when I was a student I was so busy I didn’t have the time or the desire to rent a plane in my free time. When I became an instructor, I got checked out in a 172 at the flight school next door. I only took advantage of it twice while I was an instructor because ATP’s program is very demanding.

Tory

33!?!?! You sir, just rocked my world! I thought I was super late to the game and frankly have been concerned about tenure.

Tory,

Thanks for the work-life balance input and your experience that is extremely valuable.

Jordan,

While you are certainly not too old, I am going to contradict Adam and say that this is a race. A race where even a single week of seniority can have a massive impact on a career. That being said, time behind you is water under the bridge, just make sure that when you do start out on this journey you do it in the most expeditious manner possible.

Chris

2 Likes