Pilot Life questions

Hello, first off let me say that this platform is amazing! I was wondering if someone could help me with some questions I have about joining an airline.

Question: If an airline is interested in hiring you, do they give you options of where your homebase might be? I would like to live in S. America if given the opportunity but I don’t have an idea of how airlines treat incoming pilots. Do they just assign you wherever or do they give you options?

Joshua,

Airlines all have set bases and those are usually available for all pilots to bid in seniority order. I am not aware of any US based airline that has a base in South America.

Chris

Joshua,

Bases are assigned or granted by seniority. When you’re new you’ll be assigned a junior base where they need pilots. As you gain seniority you can eventually transfer to whatever base suits you best. As Chris said I don’t believe there are any US airlines that have a S. American base.

You can of course choose to commute but getting to and from work is your responsibility.

Adam

I have a question regarding flow and understanding how ATP helps you with finding a job at an airliner. Since ATP strongly promotes how well connected it is with different airliners I wanted to know how they conduct that process of connecting you to the airlines? Do airline reps come meet with you in on a one-on-one basis or do airliners conduct an open house event that students can come and attend to learn more about? Or is it something as simple as they see your an ATP alumni and the credibility is what makes you a formidable candidate?

Whatever the case may be is this something we should also be researching about as we go about our studies?

• I appreciate your help!

Joshua,

There’s nothing really to “research” nor would it be part of your studies. In the past before the shortage ATP would stamp your resume with their approval and their students received preferential interviews with reduced minimums. Things have changed considerably and there’s a huge pilot shortage. The Regionals are fighting for bodies and are anxious to get a commitment asap. After you complete your training and begin instructing, at approx 500hrs you’ll have the opportunity to meet and apply with the various Regionals and make your choice. If you decide to accept and offer (if one idea made of course) you would then be eligible for Tuition Reimbursement to help offset the cost of training. It’s really pretty simple.

Adam

Joshua,

While being an ATP graduate certainly helps, you will still be subject to a full interview process just like anybody else. To answer your question though, typically airlines have job fairs and often times they visit the ATP training centers. But people also just apply online as well.

I would not worry about this until you start approaching the 500 hour mark. Right now you have some pilots licenses to obtain :slight_smile:

Chris

As Chris said, it’s not uncommon for an Airline rep. To come to the ATP locations and sponsor lunch usually and tell you about their program/benefits/recruiting process.