Pilot in Command (PIC) Time

First of all, thank you to the pilots that contribute to the this forum. I’ve enjoyed the discussions and learned a lot from them. As well, I’m grateful there’s a professional atmosphere whereby us non-pilots are not afraid to ask the “stupid” question. Now on to my question - Concerning Pilot in Command (PIC) time, I was wondering while instructing at ATP are you building that precious PIC time? I’ve noticed it’s a requirement for many regional air lines and an absolute for the majors. Thanks ahead of time for your answer.

Wow Jack, that’s a REALLY STUPID question! :smile:

Obviously I’m kidding and please to any and all out there, THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE UN-ASKED! So ASK!

The answer is YES Jack ALL the time you log as an Instructor is PIC. The PIC is the person responsible for the safe operation of the flight. Think about it, PIC doesn’t mean pilot flying it means Pilot in Command and when you’re instructing, you’re the one making sure the flight is completed safely. To extend the thought at the airlines the Capt is ALWAYS the PIC. Both pilots are fully qualified, licensed and rated but it’s the Capt who is ultimately responsible for the flight (and therefore makes the big bucks).

One last note you mentioned PIC requirement for the Majors. If you read the fine print most Majors require TURBINE (Jet, turbofan or turboprop) PIC time and that is one of the reasons most pilots need to make Capt at a Regional before they can move on to a Major. So they can build that very precious Turbine PIC.

Adam

Jack,

I am glad that you are finding this forum useful and are benefitting from the discussions. Please feel free to ask us any and all questions.

Where do you stand in the process? Are you just getting your feet wet with the idea of aviation for a career or are you definitely headed for the cockpit?

Chris

I’m somewhere in between getting my feet wet and headed for the cockpit. To be honest, the debt I will incur for training is a major put off and if there wasn’t a pilot shortage, I would have moved on. However, with pay and bonuses going up at the regionals and transfers to the majors speeding up, I’m leaning more towards the cockpit. Supply and demand rule the day when it comes to economics and right now pilots are in short supply. It’s interesting to see all of the changes going on at the airlines so they can attract pilots. Needless to say, it has gotten my attention and will likely turn a hobby into a career.

1 Like