Paying for training out of pocket. Is it worth it?

Hi all,

I’ve recently started pilot training (still working on PPL at the moment). Before I take my training to the next level, I was wondering if it is worth paying for the training out of pocket without airline sponsorship if I could afford to? Would I just be leaving money on the table or it would give me some other advantages when joining airlines, in terms of salary/bonus negotiating power, etc?

Thank you

Pavel, I presume you’re talking about the tuition reimbursement offered by some of the airlines. In that case, most airline programs that offer that benefit will reduce your signing bonus by the amount of the reimbursement. I suggest taking advantage of the reimbursement if it is available as it will reduce your monthly loan repayment on an interest bearing account and will be paid directly to your loan provider instead of you.

Pavel,

As Sergey asked are you talking about Tuition Reimbursement because no airlines are sponsoring any pilots that I’m aware of? While there are airline training partnerships, none offer any discounted training costs.

Adam

Yes, sorry for the confusion, I meant tuition reimbursement, vs paying out of pocket (no loan).

Pavel,

If that’s the case as Sergey said it’s your call. If you need the money then by all means take it as Tuition Reimbursement but if you don’t you can still get it as a signing bonus so you won’t be losing anything.

Adam

Short answer YES. Only a few years ago, regional pay was 18-22 per hr to start, many required that you pay for your own training (20-25k). Today, only a few years later, training is on the airlines, pay is about 40-50 per hour to start, signing bonuses are 20-60K and there are cadet/flow programs in place. The industry is looking up for pilots and only getting better with the pilot shortages. Get in as soon as you can to ride the wave while it is good.

Pavel,

If you do not take advantage of tuition reimbursement, your signing bonus will increase by the same amount. In other words, the two programs are linked and provide the same amount of money, it is just up to you how and when you take it.

Chris

Thanks all. This answers my question.
I will plan to pay out of pocket and have the flexibility of taking out that money as a sign on bonus.

Pavel,

I agree with the others but didn’t see the main thing that applies to people like you and I who are self funding and not taking out a student loan.

If you chose the tuition reimbursement (over keeping the signing bonus full for your first day) and you do not have a lender the airline will pay you the $5/flight hour so keep that in mind if you feel you may need a little help while being a CFI as you just put out $63K of your own money.

I think you might be confused about tuition reimbursement, (or I’m confused by your question) either way you have to pay for your training either in cash or from a loan and then once you become a CFI you can start to get some of that money back up to 5k I believe. And theres really no negotiation process when getting hired at a part 121 airline the salary is what it is and the bonus depends on certain factors such as if you had taken some as a CFI or other things but its not a negotiation.