Part 141 Training & Part 61 Training

Hi guys, So I am close to finishing my hour requirement for private, however the 141 school I am at has been slowing me down and I still have night requirements to finish up and seem to have been at a stand still with the school and instructor… My question is, if I have a friend who is a CFI (not part 141), how would that work if I flew with him to achieve those night requirements? would I have to log enough hours to qualify for 61, am I even allowed to do this? It would be silly if the school I go to wouldn’t allow these hours and night requirements.

Gabriel,

This is exactly why I never recommend going to a part 141 school. I am not 100% sure, but I don’t think that any flying that you do part 61 can be transferred in to part 141. I would imagine that you could just switch your whole training over to part 61 and finish with your friend. That being said, you really need to work with your friend on this, the mentors here are not able to provide that kind of specific advice about two different flight schools.

Chris

Gabriel,

Chris is correct. 141 has very specific hour requirements and curriculum for each phase. While any hours you log of course are yours, I don’t believe you’ll be able to use them to satisfy the 141 requirement.

Adam

Okay thank you so much. I had that feeling that it would be that type of complications but just to be clear, the hours I fly with my friend would only count towards the magical 1500 hours per say? At least it wouldn’t be a complete and total waste. Would those hours “expire”?

Adam Pilot Mentor
September 9 |

Gabriel,

Chris is correct. 141 has very specific hour requirements and curriculum for each phase. While any hours you log of course are yours, I don’t believe you’ll be able to use them to satisfy the 141 requirement.

Adam

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Chris Pilot Mentor
September 9 |

Gabriel, This is exactly why I never recommend going to a part 141 school. I am not 100% sure, but I don’t think that any flying that you do part 61 can be transferred in to part 141. I would imagine that you could just switch your whole training over to part 61 and finish with your friend. That…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Gabriel,

The hours you fly with your friend will count towards your total flight time, to include the 1,500 hours. Your flight time never expires.

I will not say that it “will only” count towards your 1,500 hours. There might be some way to get the time to count towards your 141 private, you really need to sit down with your flight school and your friend to figure this out.

Chris

Hey Chris,

What type of training track does ATP put its students on please? The Part 141 or the 61?

Thanks!

Paul

Paul,

ATP is Part 61. It is literally impossible to have an accelerated training program Part 141 due to the structure.

Adam

Part 61. There is a big misconception out there that part 141 is somehow better. It isn’t. I got my private license through a 141 school and it was a nightmare. The program is so booted down with regulations and unnecessary steps, it is like most things that the government gets their hands on. Regardless of which school you go to, I would avoid part 141.

Chris

1 Like