Part 141 to Part 61

Hello everyone! I need an advice. I currently have my flight training for my PPL at flight school Part 141. I have 87hrs dual total flight time. I’m in XC country stage. I want to change to a flight school of Part 61. Bc flight cost is a little cheaper at Part 61 than Part 141. I don’t know is it a good idea to change since I have so many hours of flight time at Part 141 already. I want see every pilots’ opinion out there.

Hello,

There is absolutely no advantage to training part 141. The only claim of an advantage is that it requires less hours to get a PPL, but you are way past that point and quite frankly, should have your license by now. Your flight time is just flight time, it isn’t part 141 or part 61 time, so it will be fine to go to a part 61 school. That being said, they will likely want to work with you for a decent amount of time before signing you off for your checkride.

Chris

I’m with Chris, there’s no issue and frankly I’m a fan of Part 61 as it allows greater flexibility.

Btw, you’re at 87hrs and still no PPL? Perhaps you need to be more consistent or fly more often and get this done.

Adam

It might be best to get your private with the 141 since you seem to be pretty close to it. I like the idea of part 61, as 141 seems to not be having any benifit for you.

Trying to answer your question based on the information you shared is difficult. I’m with Tucker, if you have that many hours you should be getting close to finishing. If you really are close, might be better to stay at your current flight school. Then again, that is a pretty high number to not have your PPL by now. Did you take a break? Are you only flying 1-2 times/week?

Tory

I fly 3 to 4 four times a week. 87hrs and I’m still in XC country stage. Not even close to my check ride.

Have you had some long periods of inactivity in there? Bad weather, vacation or other commitments? If not have you been struggling in areas? If you can answer no to those questions I’d seriously consider cutting my losses.

Adam

What he said :point_up_2:t3: