Part 121

Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Robert,

Yes, airline ground school can be very demanding and is tough to get through, but it certainly isn’t impossible and many people do it. Also, initial training only last two months, then you will be flying the line.

Which path you take is up to you. Take a look at our schedules and see if the amount of time we are on the road interests you or will interfere with your lifestyle too much.

Chris

Robert,

Without question airline ground school is a bear and requires your full and undivided attention. Here’s a fun fact, here at Hawaiian we used to do all our Airbus training in MIA with Airbus. 3 years ago we bought our own sims to enable us to do training completely in HNL. While this on the surface sounds like a great convenience, pilots actually had a tougher time. Why? Because rather than being 5,000mi away from their lives they were now able to go home every night and were unable to separate themselves from their lives. They also weren’t locked in a hotel room with their peers with nothing to do but study.

For my part I love my job and feel it’s was well worth the sacrifice. Only you can decide if it’s right for you?

Adam

Robert,

Before I became a pilot I owned a restaurant and did very well financially but I wasn’t a happy guy. I decided life is short and I needed more than money to be happy, satisfied, whatever so I took inventory and came up with flying. It’s taken me quite a while to get back money wise but none of that really matters as I found my own “secret to life” if you will. I get paid to do something I love and whether I’m working or off I look forward to each day equally. As I said for me it’s been worth all the risk and sacrifice. I NEVER tell anyone what they should do with their lives, not my place. BUT, I will say things have gotten so much better than when I started salary AND training wise (we now have AQP at all the airlines which basically means one bad day will not get you sent home). I don’t where you are in your life but honestly it’s not nearly that scarey.

Adam