Pan am

Will pan am ever fly the sky’s again

No. The airline is long gone. From what I understand some investors bought the rights to the name and use it to sell bags, clothes and accessories but as a airline they are no more.

Adam

1 Like

No. If they do, it will be another re-incarnation of the name, not the original airline.

1 Like

There’s a big Florida school using the name… https://panamacademy.com

I don’t think I’d name my company/school after a defunct airline, but to each his own. They had a big presence at Oshkosh.

John,

Pan Am International Flight Academy not just a flight school using the name, they are actually the only remaining division of Pan Am World Airways. When the airline shut down, the bankruptcy court allowed the training division to continue on as an independent entity.

Chris

1 Like

John,

If I’m not mistaken I believe PanAm Training is from the original airline.

1 Like

Interesting… I read references to that on their website, but the cynic in me just read past that as marketing fluff.

Back in the day, did the Pan Ams and TWAs operate their own zero to hero flight schools?

John,

I am not sure about that. My grandfather was hired by TWA in 1940 and he already had all of his licenses. I am not sure what happened in the decades that followed.

Chris

John,

I’m not sure if they ever had a real ab intio program? I do know that many decades ago as the number of military pilots began to decline and the civilian ranks hadn’t realized they could be pilots there was a significant pilot shortage. This was long before the 1500hr so all you needed to be an FO was your CPL and 250hrs and I heard a both TWA and Pan Am grabbed pilots with that min time.

Adam