Overwhelming amount of info to memorize

I am coming for zero experience or any knowledge with aviation. I did my introductory flight, 1st class medical, paid the deposit and now i am studying for the private pilot written pretty much every day, not all day because i am working part time until i start the latest in September.
I knew was going to be a lot of new info, and the learning part i am doing well with kings and also some YouTube videos, but the memorizing part i am struggling a bit.
I know still early, i been studying for 10 days and i just finish all the videos part, i am really taking my time so i can be as much prepare as possible when i start. I am also answering some questions on the go anytime i can, but haven’t really done a lot of prep test yet.
I seen some people here saying they did 2 weeks of studying and they were done with the text, that wont be my case and i am getting concern when i start how will be, but like i said all the concepts about learning i am doing good, is the memorization i am having some trouble.
So my question is: That will be a lot memorization in a very short time during training? i am hoping that because i will be flying and using what i study maybe will help me, is that the case? and hopefully things will be more divide and not all in one like it is now.
If i am learning the concepts fine, should i be ok with the memorization part when i start?
Any advice from who been there is highly appreciate
Hope i was clear enough on what is that i am struggling,Thank you

Andre,

First and foremost RELAX! You’ve been studying for 10 days. I have a newsflash for you, being an airline pilot isn’t the same as riding a bike or driving a car. The airlines don’t simply hand out the keys to $50 million airplanes without you knowing a few things (this really a pet peeve of mine as somehow someone got the idea that all you have to do is sign up, pay your money and “POOF!” you’re a pilot). The good news is you can and will learn what you need to learn. Different people have different capacities for memorizing info, some obviously better than others. Thing is you really know nothing about being a pilot or aviation so everything you’re trying to absorb you’re trying to memorize because at this stage there’s no understanding or correlation. I’m not insulting you just telling you the facts. As you begin to learn and understand you won’t need to memorize everything because it’ll make sense and you’ll understand it AND retain it. This is one of the reasons we encourage people to complete their writtens prior to training. The writtens do require a fair amount of rote memorization and there’s no way around that. We want you to spend the before time getting that out of the way so your brain is fresh and uncluttered for when the learning occurs. Make sense?

Adam

Andre,

I really would not worry too much about this right now. You are brand new to aviation and have absolutely no foundation to start your learning from, that will come in time. Now some people are better at rote memorization than others, I was not one of those. I took several weeks for each written exam and really learned the material as I am not one for just plain memorization.

Hang in there and don’t let this get you down, you are at the very beginning of a very long journey.

Chris

Thank you both for the quick reply, I already feel better

Yes it make sense, and you are both right, because i have no previous foundation and is all new for me makes harder to retain the info
What you both said is what i was hoping to hear, that once flying i will retain the info, and this i am sure i can do it
Its because i heard so much about the “fast pace” that makes me anxious and a bit worried, but i think i am been too hard on myself.
Chris, is good to know you took several weeks, because i will too, i set up to start in 6 months so i can take my time.
i have another question, i spoke with some one at ATP and he suggest me to do just the private and both instrument exams, but my plan was to do all six of them, or maybe also at least the Commercial Pilot one, leaving just both instructor exam for during the course, what you guys think? Should i do all of them? if not which ones should i do before start?

Andre,

Please RE-read my response above.

Adam

I guess when you said “The writtens” you mean all of them.

That’s what i am going to do

Thank you

Actually the key word was “complete” but yes I mean ALL.

Adam

It took me about 4 weeks to complete watching all the Kings school video, go through the practice questions (both from Kings school and sportys) before I took my private pilot written test. I also started from zero time and was also working when I did my test prep.

It took me less time(about 2 weeks and half) for the IRA since sheppard air just have a great way of prepping you for the test and 4 days for the CAX. But as Adam said, it differs from people to people.

The amount of information was definitely overwhelming but it gave me a general overview of what I would be learning as I go through the program. I’m four weeks into the program and majority of the workload has been taken off from since I did a whole lot of studying before starting. So whatever you are learning now will be so helpful and will put you into a good start. So far, i haven’t encountered a whole lot of memorization I need to do in a short time. And it’s definitely more divided as go through each week’s lesson. It honestly doesn’t feel as “fast pace” sometimes.

If you can do all of them, do it. I would have but I ran out of time. I did at least the PAR, IRA and CAX prior to starting so I could get reimburse for the foreflight basic. Ha!

Goodluck with the written tests! You got this!

1 Like

Andre,

I would complete as many exams that you can do with a 90% or better. Always strive for at least 90%, if not higher.

Chris

Just want to give an update. I did the private pilot written today and score 97%, only missed two questions!
Monday I will start study for both instrument tests.
Again thank you all here for the support!

2 Likes

Andre,

Awesome work! Now keep that up and you will do great in the program.

Chris