Overcoming Practicing Stalls

Good evening all,

I’m about 25 hours into working on my PPL. When I fly and practice stalls my body really does not like the feeling of the aircraft breaking into a power on and off stall. More so the power on.

I tense up especially when performing them soloing.

I know how to recover but I feel like a failure because recently I found myself easing into them with baby steps. When I was fine with them two weeks ago.

I didnt fly for a week maybe that’s why?

I had them down at one point and they didn’t affect me, but now it seems I’m back to square one being afraid of practicing them. I let The feeling when performing the maneuver get to me.
I ended up landing the plane and cutting it short today. I figured I’m not in the right state of mind to perform them?

In the end what’s more scary to me is not getting this maneuver down. I want to be prepared for a real world
situation occurrence and my checkride.

One reasons why stalls get to me was because only once while I perfoming them during my initial training for the first time I placed the aircraft into a spin and down we went.

Definitely my worst experience but best learning experience. I’ve been placed in them intetionally and taught how to recover.

Still soo new to all this though.

Any tips on overcoming the fear of stalling the aircraft?

Alex,

Practice, practice and did I mention PRACTICE. You say you were fine with them so that says to me you can (and will be again). Nothing wrong with baby steps until you’re comfy again btw. You’ve seen the spin and that clearly got your attention (as it should) and sure you got scared (as you should). Terror is not a good thing for a pilot but a little healthy fear can keep you safe, sharp and attentive to keeping that little ball where it should be. Don’t be so hard on yourself, you’ll get it back.

Adam

Alex,

I never liked practicing stalls either and I still don’t. I never got comfortable with the feeling myself and I detested spins. That being said, it is a maneuver that you practice so you don’t get into a spin like you did. It is simply a head game that you are going to need to play with yourself to get over this fear. You know what a stall is, how to get into one and most importantly, how to get out of one. Maybe do a few more with your CFI, but then you need to just go do it until you are comfortable enough with them for the checkride.

Chris

Wait, you’re practicing stalls solo? Without a CFI at the controls?

Yes Sergey, when you fly solo, prior to your checkride, you’re encouraged to practice all your maneuvers. Why wouldn’t you?

Adam

Understood. I guess I never got far enough in my previous training.

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice and info