Real Answers from Real Pilots

Out of state tuition costs?

Hello! I was wondering if tuition for ATP is higher for people who are out of state? I know colleges do this and I recently was thinking about doing the 100 hour multi-engine training instead of the 40 hour, but it isn’t offered in my home state of Oregon.

Brandon,

East to West, North to South, ATP charges one fixed course for the Airline Career Pilot Program. Most colleges have only one location while ATP has over 40 so there really is no “out of state”. Any particular reason you want the 100hr vs the 40? Are you not planning to instruct for ATP?

Adam

I am planning to work for ATP, I would just feel more comfortable having more multi engine hours, especially if I would be instructing in them and ultimately would be flying a multi engine plane as an airline pilot.

Brandon,

That’s fine and the choice is yours (personally I’d save the $10k). Ok well then back to your original question, again there are no out of state costs so you can choose any location that offers the 100hr program and it won’t cost you a penny more. Keep in mind an extra 60hrs of multi time won’t make you a better airline pilot.

Adam

Brandon,

ATP does not charge a difference for in state and out of state. What you are describing is a difference in the program offered, not a price difference.

Chris

Brandon,

I strongly encourage you to do the 40 hour program. You will have plenty of multi time to feel comfortable and a whole lot more cash in your wallet.

Chris

Well, you’re the expert, if you feel its not needed then I will follow your advice. I can lessen my college debt by a bit xD Thanks for the help.

I have another question, is it a good idea to go to an FAA medical examiner as a senior in high school just in case? Right now I am planning to get a bachelor’s in computer and information science, then go to flight school to be an airline pilot. However, if I end up not being able to be a pilot for some reason, I would prefer to pursue a different degree.

Brandon,

I don’t think it would make a difference. I would wait until you’re ready.
There are so many things that can happen between now and when you’re ready
to start flight training. Just because you passed now, doesn’t mean you
will later. Just wait.

Tory

Brandon,

As Tori said I would wait UNLESS you have some concerns or conditions you think might be an issue. If that’s the case better to find out sooner than later.

Adam

Brandon,

I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to go while in high school, there are some things that people do not think of that affect FAA medicals, like anxiety medicines, diabetes, ADD medicines, etc.

Chris

I don’t take any medication and I don’t have any medical issues. My only concern is my vision, my eyesight is 20/400 and I know from other people’s questions that as long as it is correctable to 20/20 I am fine, but I am still concerned that there will be some vision related complication down the road that will prevent me from being a pilot.

Brandon,

The best advice I can give you is to talk to a medical examiner about this. None of us are qualified to answer any medical questions.

Chris

Thomas,

A year expired means it’s a 2nd class now (unless you’re old like me) and will be fine.

Adam

1 Like

First class medicals are good for one year until you turn 40. You better get used to taking them, they are a fact of life for pilots.