Online home study preps

So I looked up ATP’s online prep courses. If you’re coming in with zero time your PPL written prep is a King school videos. But for the balance of your ratings it’s Sheppard Air online instruction? Why aren’t they all King courses? What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Sheppard courses?

Don

ATP provides both King Schools and Sheppard Air. King Schools offers better instruction for conceptual understanding while Sheppard Air offers the best finish-up wrote memorization to lock in a great score on FAA knowledge test. It’s a winning combination with ATP’s flight training.

2 Likes

Thanks Justin

Hello,
New here, and just beginning my aviation journey. The expertise and time it takes to answer these questions for the terrified new learner is much appreciated! I was wondering, and forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere: If one is not yet a student with ATP, but is studying independently King schools test preps (to ideally have all written exams completed by the time of applying) how is one to obtain CFI blessing to take some of the tests?
Again, thank you so much for your time as any and all guidance is very much appreciated!

~Kristie

Kristie,

Welcome to the forums.

If you have placed a deposit with ATP, you can contact the admissions department to get your sign off. If you have yet to commit to ATP, I would recommend that you contact King Schools and ask them. They probably have something along the lines of take three practice written exams, fax them in for review and then they will sign you off.

Chris

Copy! Thank you so much!

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Hi Chris and everyone else, new to the forum but I’ve been lurking for awhile. Should a potential student get a physical and pass all the written exams before committing to ATP? Would you suggest the King/Sheppard Air courses if the end goal is to dive into flight training with ATP after passing the written exams?

I’m a little confused on what materials would be ideal to go from “zero to hero”, written-exam wise?

1. Copy of FAR/AIM
  2. Pilot manual—is this the King/Sheppard combo mentioned by Don?
  3. Syllabus to keep on track/work in sensible order, ideally one from ATP?
  4. FAA Test Q Bank/practice exams, Oral Exam guide, Practical Test Standards

Names like Gleim and Sportys keep popping up—are there just a million ways to skin a cat, or is there a superior way for a disciplined self-learner? I’ve been reading FAR/AIM, and it beats IRS codification.

Eric

Eric,

If your plan is to come to ATP, you will be required to have a medical certificate before you sign up for the program, you will also be required to complete an introductory flight.

I would not purchase any study material as once you commit to the program, ATP will provide you with everything you need, which includes King Schools and Sheppard Air prep materials, amongst other resources.

I would not spend time studying from the FAR/AIM. While most everything you will learn comes from, or is based on those resources, they are incredibly dry and not always easy to understand. The manuals that you will be provided are much easier to learn from.

Chris

Eric,

As Chris said, once you register to start with ATP they will provide you with everything you need study wise.

Adam

Thank you Adam and Chris! You two have each already answered a Lot of my qs just by reading on the site, appreciate your presences here on the forum.

So ATP provides the materials to study for the exams after committing to them, and there’s no reason to buy materials outside of what they provide, but I’ve seen much talk on the forum about passing the written FAA exams before flight training—what am I missing here? Do you commit, get materials, study and pass exams, then start flying? Or is it more concurrent?

In my mind, it’s more conservative to buy the study materials, pass the exams, then commit to ATP. Is this backwards? My thinking being if you don’t have the discipline to self-study, why would you have it to get through ATP’s intensive immersion program. The idea of signing on the dotted line Before knowing that I can Definitely master the material makes me nervous!

Nice to meet you all, and thanks for all the help

Eric

Eric,

The written tests do not follow the syllabus of the program and merely require memorization. I know that may be hard to believe, but it’s true. The written tests are very outdated, but are still required. As Adam and Chris have said, there really is no need to buy books now. Let ATP provide you with those. Preparing for the written tests can be done online. Follow these instructions: https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Tory

Eric,

I understand your concern, but the written are really not w good indicator of things to come. Also, written exam results are only valid for two years, so it would not be in your interests to begin studying too far into the future. Your way is more conservative, but I would say that it is too conservative. If you are really not sure about your ability, sign up for a private pilot ground school at your local flight school and see how you do, then make the big decision.

Chris

Eric,

Here’s my take. As the others have said the FAA Knowledge exams are simply a box that needs to be checked and you’ll learn what you need to know “concurrently” with your flight training. Now if you have a concerns about you’re ability to self-study the FAA material take a look over here: https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/learn-to-fly/faa-private-pilot-test-prep.html
This is a free online test prep for the Private Pilot Knowledge exam that actually works pretty well. UNDERSTAND this is simply rote memorization and you really won’t learn much but that’s how it’s done for these exams.

What I do find curious is you make no mention of any flight experience and all your concern seems to be focused on the ground school portion? Have you ever been up in a small plane and done some maneuvers? If not I would literally stop ALL the research you’re doing and schedule yourself an Intro flight (ATP has a nice program but if there’s no ATP nearby any local flight school will do). You see while many people like the idea of being a pilot until you go up you simply won’t know and no, flying in the back of a Boeing doesn’t count.

Adam

Tory, that link is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Tory, Chris and Adam, that finally clicks for me—I’ve taken exams like that (huge volume of material, huge bank of test q’s, little chance of committing much of it to long-term memory until you actually put it into practice). Before you guys clarified this, I was thinking you literally had to rote-learn FAR/AIM. And I was prepared to. So thanks for saving me the misery!

I’m planning on getting my PPL through Lane Aviation Academy down here in Eugene, as the airport is about 10 mins from my house, then moving to Hillsboro ATP for their 6 month program if I’m sure I want to make it a career. The q is whether I can get my ppl before the November 26th class start date, and that will depend on weather according to LAA. I can commit the time and resources necessary.

I’ve been up in small planes a handful of times, twice behind the controls. An amazing experience! My uncle built an experimental aircraft and has a biplane in his grass-field hangar in Kansas. My dad had his PPL but hasn’t flown in small planes since he had a family. I enjoyed my intro flight (in 2012). Takeoff and long turns were highlights—landing was nervy but I’m sure that fades with experience and confidence. Problem was I was 22, working towards a degree, had no disposable income and regionals were paying $20 an hour. I couldn’t afford to fly for pleasure, and couldn’t make a living doing it professionally. I didn’t look back into it as a potential career until early August of this year, and I liked what I saw and read.

I’m not too worried about the flying, I’m excited for it! The ground knowledge is what is most intimidating to me, but everyone seems to agree that if you have the desire and discipline, learning the material doesn’t seem to be a substantial problem. But I agree it’s time to get up in the air again!!

Eric

Eric,

Unless you will be flying every day and not working, your time frame sounds too optimistic to me, I think you should allow for much more time, especially since you have not even started your PPL yet.

Chris

That is more or less what I had planned on (I work seasonally and am wrapping up now), but I still agree PPL before November 26th is ambitious bordering on unrealistic. I got my books today and should be flying sometime next week. Sorry for the thread jack!

Eric,

Actually if the weather holds and you can fly 3-4 times a week it is doable. Problem is to enroll in ATP WITH credit for your Private you need 80hrs total time and that’s definitely not going to happen.

I’d save my money, bang out my writtens and start ATP from scratch. Given the choice that’s always preferable anyway. ATP’s program has been refined over the years and if you can start Day 1 with it you won’t have to worry about unlearning any bad habits.

Adam