Older Students at ATP

Ian,

Thank so much for posting this. It’s encouraging for “2nd career” guys to hear about folks who are succeeding at this.

1 Like

This is really a question for Adam or another mentor but it sort of falls in the same category. Here’s a variation to the theme of starting from the beginning at age 50+. I wouldn’t be starting at the beginning as I have my commercial, instrument, multi-engine, CFI and CFI-I. They were earned in the early 80s. I have roughly 700 hrs but haven’t flown since 2000. Family got in the way for me earlier then 911 put a major kabosh on my plans. Now at age 57 I wonder if it would be feasible for me to get back in the game with the regional carriers being the goal. I also have a 4yr degree in Aviation from a state university so I think (but don’t know for sure) that I would only have to have 1000 hours before getting the ATP rating. What do you think? I would guess I would be pushing 60 by the time I would be ready for a regional. Would they even consider a pilot my age?

Scott,

I can’t say for certain but I honestly think you’ll be ok. The Regional business plan really figures the average Regional pilot will only be with them from 5-7 yrs and that’s about how much shelf life you’ve got. I recommend you contact the Regionals you’re interested in and ask them directly. They’ll tell you straight up and you’ll know for certain.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks, Adam. I’ll take your advice and call a few of them.

Jim, I’m also an older prospective ATP student and came across something that may help, since the idea of a year+ away instructing isn’t an option: there have been a few students who were hired at a regional as little as 13-22 months from starting at ATP at zero, so that includes schooling and CFI. Also, it’s always possible that an instructor position would be open at the school near your home (not guaranteed, but it’s possible…) So maybe ATP is worth the gamble…

Info on the placements, btw https://secure.atpflightschool.com/AirlinePlacements/

Thanks Patricia. I will take a look at that.

To all that have contributed to this thread, many thanks. I have been monitoring conversations for a couple months now, especially regarding older pilots and starting a second career. I’m 46 and closing in on 25 years in law enforcement. I have had my PPL for 15 years with 200+ hours flight time. I’m tossing the idea around about attending ATP in a few years or starting my instrument/commercial/CFI/ME…locally at a part 141 school here in Arkansas. The big question is whether there will be enough of a market locally for another instructor to build hours vs attending ATP that has created its own market for students/instructors.
There’s not so much a question to the group here. Just wanted to say that there sure seems to be a lot more folks like me looking to take a chance on a second career later in life. Thanks for all the great questions and to all who have contributed there knowledge, experience and time in answering them.

Hey Craig,

Have you thought about reaching out to some local flight schools to get an
idea about how business is going for them? I don’t know anything about the
market in Arkansas. I can tell you that when I was teaching in California,
Northern and Southern, there was HIGH demand for instructors at all the
local schools.

Craig,

Not trying to sound like a salesman here but I’m honestly a little confused by your post? While I wasn’t 46 when I started I was on the older side at 39. Knowing that this career has a VERY finite amount of years I am curious, IF flying is what you want to do as a second career, how is it you don’t feel a certain “time pressure”. Training locally could take you… I don’t even know how long and THEN you have to get to 1500hrs. The primary reason (there were many) I decided on ATP was because I had made the decision and there was no faster route. Not criticizing just asking your thought process?

Trust me on this, as far as the airlines go, there is a difference between a 48yo and a 50 yo old pilot.

Adam

Hey Tory,
I have spoken with several locally active pilots and instructors but haven’t started interviewing flight schools yet. I have a great resource in that my brother is a FO for a major. Although he hasn’t instructed for years, he also believes there would be opportunities for a new CFI with many current instructors building hours to advance into the regionals.
I’m three years away from possible retirement, which would put me at 50. ATP would definitely be the fastest route to my goal, but isn’t the only option. Training locally has some definite advantages that wouldn’t require relocating or waiting until I retire. But my concern is that flight schools will be a tad bias in their assessment of the local market, which is understandable as they are in business to provide instruction.
I stopped flying several years ago as the $100 hamburger, (which hasn’t been adjusted for inflation in quite some time) was becoming increasingly expensive. And I never considered that at my age, a second career in aviation could be a feasible possibility. I have no illusions about flying for a major airline. I just really appreciate the idea that I might still have a good shot at a dream I though had past.

Craig,
I’m kind of in the same boat as you. I’m 43 and have 12 years as LEO. I have a little longer time than you to retirement though. I am currently working through my ratings at a local flight school and will be able to instruct part time (extra job) for them when I’m done.

I can’t retire until I’m 54, but if I reach my hours and receive an offer before then… Im jumping ship!

Hey Adam/Richard,

Richard, I definitely wish ya the best on your training and career goals. From what the folks on here have been saying, as well as just about everything I have read online or talking to other pilots, there hasn’t been a better time to go for a job with the airlines. It’s just a commitment and a jump. Lol
Adam, sorry for the confusion. I’ve been in LE for a bit over 22 years. Under my retirement plan I am eligible to retire with 25 years in service, which makes me 50. (I have to retire by age 57.)
I absolutely do feel a “time pressure”. My previous post talked about training at ATP vs training at a local flight school. With ATP, I could work through my ratings and build requisite time in 18-24 months. But I wouldn’t be able to start until I completed my 25 years in LE, at age 50. And it would be a bad financial move to toss aside the retirement income for which I’ve worked so hard, being this close (less than three years) to eligibility.
Working through my ratings at a local flight school would allow me to start immediately but flight instruction would have to be done in my off time, at a slower pace. The local schools all have great reputations and there are some excellent instructors out there, but my concern is that I won’t build flight time as an instructor near as quickly as I would at an ATP facility. Training locally would also keep me from having to relocate to train for my ratings (Tulsa/Dallas), then train somewhere else for my instructor ratings(Las Vegas/Florida), and then be placed again as an instructor at an ATP location (???).
Trust me, I really like what I’ve read about ATP’s program. And that would be the fastest route to the coveted 1500 hrs with ATP’s reputation behind it, to boot. But starting immediately and tossing my retirement aside this late in the game would be a bad move, also. I’m committed to seeing through my LE career.
I’ve spend a lot of sleepless nights in bed staring at the ceiling fan asking God how “doable” this is, and if so, what is the best route? Ironically, my office over looks a runway where I see regionals take off and land every day. God does have a sense of humor!

…my backup plan is a job at Dunkin Donuts! However, I may be overqualified as a taste tester!!!

Craig,

I’ll be quite honest, at my age and stage in this career, I think Adam and Chris are better suited to give advice on this matter.

Ha. Thanks Tory. Ultimately, it’s my decision. Benefits and consequences. I really do appreciate hearing y’alls opinions, though. The route I’m considering may put me outside the hiring window for a regional. Like i said previously; I’m not even entertaining a career leading to a major. If I can give a regional 10-12 years, I would like to think I’m still marketable. If not, there’s still instruction, charter, and cargo. Flying is flying.
Y’all have a great holiday weekend. Be safe.

1 Like

Craig,

I completely understand and your plan makes sense. 12 yrs at a Regional is a fine second career. I was at Xjt for 9 and it was fantastic.

You too sir.

Adam

Looking for some opinions on my situation. I am 42 and looking at getting back in aviation after a 15 year hiatus. I graduated from a well known aviation collage with commercial, CFI, CFII, and MEI certificates. After graduation in 99 life took some turns and I started with another career. Being burned out and desperately missing flying I was wondering if a program like ATP would be a good choice to get me back up to speed.

Hi Steve,

Really doesn’t sound like you need ATP. ATP is a flight school designed to help pilots earn all the necessary licenses and ratings to have a career in aviation. Well, you already have them so why would you want to re-do all of it? Sounds like you need to fly! Get your skills back, get your ME rating, build some time and find a flying gig. That’s my take?

Adam

Steve,

I think that you will find that you do not need to go through a full program like what ATP offers. Of course you need a very indepth refresher that should take several weeks, but I think a none month program would be overkill for somebody with your experience.

Chris

Thanks so much for the advice Adam and Chris. Dug out all my old books and having a blast re-reading them and seeing information come back. Hope to be back in the air soon.

No problem, best of luck out there.