Officially starting ATP

Eric, You definitely want to get signed up now if you plan to start in January. Are you starting with your PPL already ? If so, there are alot of coarse studies that they prefer you to have done prior to your start date. They send you the material once you have signed on. There is no time like the present !

Start date bumped up to February 13th !!! Im excited ! Oddly i received a letter from Messa Airlines in the mail yesterday congratulating me on starting ATP and how they would like to meet as training progresses. I am sure that it is probably a formality letter, and while Messa is not really on my list of airlines i would be seeking, its still exciting.

Reagon,

You should be excited! I donā€™t think people really believe this whole ā€œpilot shortageā€ thing but I assure you its very real. As soon as a Regional smells a pilot in the making theyā€™re on it. Iā€™ve been at Hawaiian for 4 yrs now but lately Iā€™ve been receiving solicitations from many of the Regionals. Always nice to be wanted :slight_smile:

Adam

Reagon,

That is great news! Less than a month. Are you excited? Nervous? Are you planning to work on the written exams now or wait until you start the program?

Chris

So, its been a while and I figured I would take a moment to log on and share. I started ATP on Feb 13th, 2017 Passed my Private Check-ride on March 9th. I did some nice cross countries from Richmond to Jacksonville on a 20 hour time build and then immediately jumped into Multi- Engine training on March 20th. This morning (March 28th) i passed my Multi Engine check-ride and am now home getting prepared for IFR training. Start tomorrow on a day/night trip down to Concord.

Prior to starting ATP i was told that this is fast paced and studying is like drinking from a fire hydrant. THEY WERE CORRECT ! I am at ATP at-least 6 days a week and sometimes 7 days from around 730am till around 530-6pm. ( Somehow i manage to sqeeze in being a husband, a father, and a business owner as well ) While it is fast paced, and requires alot of sacrifice and self discipline, it has been very structured and informative. On a daily basis you have access to your own instructor as well as the other instructors that make themselves available for you. At this point in my training, i have nothing but good things to say about ATP. Show up each day, study & memorize your material and be prepared for anything. ( a short 2 hour flight could put you in a hotel with no change of clothes 700 miles away for the night) :slight_smile: But can you really complain when your doing what you love ?? Plusā€¦ you have experiences and memories with other pilots, who share the same passion in flying as youā€¦ This is an exciting time ! For nowā€¦ im headed for the clouds ! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you Reagon, GREAT report!

Glad things are going well and youā€™re enjoying. As I always say (and you have confirmed), while the training is rigorous, with hard work and discipline itā€™s definitely manageable. Keep up the good work and keep us posted when you can.

Adam

Reagon,

I am so glad to hear that things are going well for you and that you are pleased with the program! Also, congratulations on passing your multi-engine add on.

Please keep us up to date as you continue on, we love to see our guys and gals achieve their goals :slight_smile:

Chris

@Wright925 and @Rathsjv ,

Hi guys! Thanks for the updates! It is nice to read some real-time experiences as students are going through the ATP program.

Quick question for you - Have you given much thought to your location once you become a CFI after completing your training? I read in your previous posts that you are family men and I assume you would like to stay close to them (wives, kids) by instructing at the location where you currently train. As a student, can you say anything regarding what you may know about getting placed as a CFI? I know you havenā€™t completed training yet, so now worries if you donā€™t have much insight right now.

Jason, I know you relocated to Phoenix for ATP training - Iā€™m sure you wouldnā€™t want to relocate again for a CFI job. Your thoughts?

My reason for asking is that my boyfriend and I hope to relocate to Florida by the end of the year so that he can begin training at ATP in Fort Lauderdale, and I will begin working a new job. We may be thinking a few steps ahead, but we are concerned about the prospect of him being moved to a different ATP location to work as a CFI. I know that ATPā€™s policies have changed recently regarding CFI placement, and that you are not necessarily guaranteed to get the base you want. If we are going to make the move to Florida and take up residence, especially since I will be starting a new job, we would hate for him to be uprooted to work as a CFI for many months somewhere else. Basically, we are trying to avoid a long-distance relationship, if possible. It would be nice to be together in the same city :relaxed:

Thanks!

Elaine,

Due to the large volume of students becoming instructors, ATP recently changed itā€™s policy regarding instructor location selection. When a student successfully completes all their training, PRIOR to attending Instructor Standardization, the student will be given a list of available locations. At that point itā€™s up to the student if thereā€™s a location that suits their needs. If there isnā€™t they can of course decline the position and look for a job on their own. Hopefully thereā€™s something close but again there are no guarantees. While this may not be ideal, understand itā€™s a far cry from back in the day when pilots would often have to move across the country to then PAY for the opportunity to build time or other schools that offer a single location.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I guess as the situation improves, we just get pickier! :laughing: Hopefully there will be a Florida location at the time that we need it, but thatā€™s a question for ATP.

1 Like

Elaine,

Itā€™s not really a question for ATP. If there is there is, if there isnā€™t itā€™s up to your boyfriend to figure out whatā€™s important?

Adam

My wife and I did the same thing. We were looking forward to where I would
be working as a CFI. We specifically chose to relocate to Phoenix because
#1 PHX is one of the largest training centers for ATP. This exponentially
increases the probability of me being able to stay and work for ATP at
their Phoenix location. #2 ATP has in addition to the location in PHX a
location in KSDL, So, if I canā€™t for whatever reason work in PHX I can go
to Scottsdale. If I canā€™t work for ATP at either of those locations there
are plenty of other flight schools I can work at until a position opens up
at ATP. The Phoenix Arizona area is one of the busiest areas for flight
training in the country. #3rd thing we were looking at was weather. Weather
is really good in AZ. I can fly 360 days a year thus helping me finish the
program and instructing so I can get hired at the an airline faster. #4 ATP
has a contract here in Arizona with ASU which is a 141 program. Iā€™m really
interested in participating with the ASU 141 program here, for whatever
reason airlines really like to see 141 on a resumeā€™. On top of that Phoenix
is also home to one of ATPā€™s standardization classes. This is where new
instructors go to learn how to be ā€œinstructorsā€ for ATP. This again offers
more opportunities to work within ATP. #5 We really looked a lot into the
cost of living, the Phoenix Area has a great cost of living, housing is
cheap food is cheap gas is cheap etcā€¦ you can go to
http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/ to use a cost of living
calculator to see how Florida matches up to what you plan to earn when your
working while your boyfriend is in school, or how long your savings is
going to last you while your boyfriend is in school. ATP advertises that
you can earn up to 42000 a year as an instructor which is in a perfect
world environment (good weather, lots of students, no maintenance/flight
ops issues) which is accurate, I know some instructors that make that and
more, however I wouldnā€™t plan on making that right out of the gate. From
what I understand once you become an instructor you get greater access to
their corporate web-site which gives you an idea of how many hours on
average instructors are making at various locations. This is a great tool
to help gauge where ATP needs instructors, and where you can go to hit that
42000 a year tier. Their pay is on a tier system since I mentioned it, if
you go to the website it shows how the more you fly the more you earn, It
starts off at 7 dollars and hour and moves up to 20 dollars an hour.

I didnā€™t come to this decision to relocate to Arizona myself about a year
and half ago when I applied for my financing I did my intro flight with an
instructor in Raleigh N.C. My wife and I were originally planning on moving
to Utah. I was going to go to school there and planned on instructing
there. However, after consulting with the instructor I did my intro flight
with and doing a lot of research here at home on the computer, we decided
coming to Arizona was the best decision in order to finish the program and
start a career with an Airline in a timely fashion while also considering
the financial implications costs of living etcā€¦ My wife was able to find
a decent paying job here, and is able to solely support us on our current
budget so a lot of stress is alleviated based on that.

Iā€™m not too terribly stressed about not working in Phoenix, the instructor
turn over rate is really fast her, I can already count 5 or 6 instructors
that are going to be leaving to the Airlines in the next couple of
weeks/months. On top of that the location is so big and a lot of people
donā€™t stay in Phoenix ( for some reason they donā€™t like it). Iā€™m sure I
wonā€™t have a problem one way or another. If I did have to relocate I would
probably request to go to Utah, just because my wife and I like it there,
but honestly I donā€™t think it will come to that. Iā€™ll have so many
certificates (CFI, CFII, MEI) that I can easily find work anywhere in the
Phoenix valley as an instructor. I wouldnā€™t stress about it honestly at
all. I was in the military for 12 years, my wife has had me gone so much it
wouldnā€™t even phase her if I had to tell her I was going to NJ for a 3
months to instruct. As long as the money is good an my family is taken care
of weā€™re going to be just fine, especially cause worst case scenario says
Iā€™ll be in NJ for 3 months and not Africa for 6.

From what I understand Florida is a lot like Arizona as far as having good
weather and a large market for flight training. So you shouldnā€™t have any
problems, I know ATP has some really large training facilities there so I
donā€™t see any reason why you would have a problem being close to one
another. ATP is based out of Florida so there really shouldnā€™t be any
issues at all. Just be ready, the training goes fast!!! and it requires a
lot of work. My wife complains that even when Iā€™m home Iā€™m not home because
Iā€™m locked in my office reading my iPad, practicing a written test, or
going over flash cards filled with memory items and common knowledge. Itā€™s
really been a good experience, we have a great training manager who Iā€™ve
expressed my priorities to (providing for my family) and heā€™s very
supportive of that and really puts forth an amazing effort at ensuring the
instructors and students are supported by both ATP higher, the FAA, the
Airport, maintenance personnel etcā€¦ For the most part the company is very
supportive from a students perspective, there are some quirks about
operations but thatā€™s just aviation!!!

I really hope my comments help if you need more information just let me
know.

Sincerely,
Jason Raths

1 Like

Jason,

You had some really good points, thanks for sharing. There is one point that I would disagree with you on though, the airlines (regional or major) do not show any preference at all for pilots that came from part 61 or part 141 schools. Remember that at the end of either program pilots take the exact same FAA checkrides and meet the exact same standards.

I have never once been asked in an airline interview whether I went to a part 61 or 141 school, nor has anybody I know.

Chris

Jason,

Iā€™m glad things seem to be well but just to chime in I second Chris, there is ZERO preference given to 141 schools. In fact I WAS on the hiring panel at my Regional and I would often query pilots from 141 schools as to whether they felt they could keep up with pace of training?

As for location selection keep in mind that all the reasons you state are the reasons those locations are so busy and why many pilots want to go there which is why it can be difficult. When I completed my training at ATP EVERYBODY wanted to go to JAX and back then you could wait. I wanted TTN (the least popular) so I was fortunate to get there immediately. While itā€™s great to get what you want I was already flying for ExpressJet while pilots who finished training long before me were still instructing because they waited. Remember seniority is everything a the difference of 1 week can literally alter your entire career. Now while I appreciate everyoneā€™s goal is getting hired quickly, there are countless stories of pilots who do all their training in severe clear and freak on IOE because theyā€™ve never seen a cloud. ALL pilots need to make their peace with weather and sooner is always better.

Adam

2 Likes

Jason,

Firstly, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to write this response to me. My boyfriend and I both really appreciate the effort you took to address our concerns. Your comments were very helpful, and we were glad to get some inside perspective from a current ATP student. Thereā€™s a long road ahead of us, so thanks for some perspective of what we can expect!

Much of what you said regarding location choice hit home with us, as my boyfriend and I are thinking of similar variables. Sometimes it feels like we are thinking ten steps ahead, but I think it will be worth it to evaluate our options and know whats ahead of us in the long run.

I do think you are correct that Phoenix and Fort Lauderdale are similar in that they are two of the largest ATP training locations, and hopefully that works in our favor. Itā€™s comforting to hear that the turnover rate at some of the larger facilities is so quick, which improves his chances of being stationed as a CFI in Florida, at least for the most part. We are prepared that he might be moved to a different base for a few months but, like you said, it could be worse.

Jason, thanks again for your response. It was very helpful and got us even more excited for ATP!:slight_smile:

No problem Elaine any time!!!

Chris I donā€™t disagree with you at all. Iā€™m sure Part 141 vs. Part 61
doesnā€™t make a huge difference at all to airlines especially in todayā€™s
environment and probably wonā€™t make a huge difference into the future based
on projections of pilot shortage and current legislation. A certificate is
a certificate just like a degree is a degree. However, because the FAA does
care (ATP vs. RATP requirements) itā€™s hard for me to ignore the fact that
in some ways because the FAA cares the airlines care in one fashion or
another. It may not come up in an interview today or tomorrow, but, Iā€™m
sure somewhere along the line as one looks into more competitive billets
(check airmen, FAA, NASA, corporate/management etcā€¦ etcā€¦) it will come
up, and be at least looked at if not seriously considered. Iā€™m not going to
a 141 because I donā€™t have the time nor do I have the money, but, I really
would like to work with 141 students, and even work with new instructors.
Thatā€™s why I really like Phoenix. In the end will having a billet on my
resumeā€™ that says ā€œ141 xyzā€ going to make a big difference probably not,
however, Iā€™m a firm believer in paying attention to small details and in
the future if Iā€™m looking into a more competitive position within the
aviation industry and Iā€™m competing against someone that is a 141 graduate
that little 141 or lack thereof on my resumeā€™ could be a small detail that
helps or hinders me. Thatā€™s all Iā€™m really trying to communicate.

Appreciate all your time and guidance!!!

Jason

Jason,

With all due respect I completely disagree. With reference to the R-ATP the FAA (due to STRONG lobbying from the Regionals) made some concessions in regard to flight time requirements. The reduced time requirements state the applicant MUST be a graduate from a 4 year BA degree program and must also complete their flight training through that universityā€™s 141 training program. The statement is somewhat redundant since Part 141 is the method universityā€™s use for training. Whatā€™s KEY in the reg is the degree. You can complete part 141 training but without the degree thereā€™s no reduction (and visa versa). What the FAA is saying is if you immerse yourself in a 4yr program theyā€™ll cut you some time and let you sit right seat at an airline next to a qualified Capt BUT you still need the 1500 for a FULL ATP regardless of how you train.

Now you can speculate what you believe may come up in a future interview for an airline or higher position but whatā€™s FACT is this: You and another pilot start your training the same day, one goes part 141, the other an accelerated part 61 like ATPs (all else being equal). The Part 61 pilot WILL complete their training first, will get hired at a Regional first, upgrade first, move on to a Major first AND will have made considerably more money over the length of his career. Fast forward 10yrs and XYZ Air is looking for check airman. Letā€™s be optimistic and say both our guys are Capts. Our Part 61 guy is more senior, has more flight time and more experience at the airline but you believe the Part 141 guy will get the nod because 15yrs prior he spent an extra $50k and went to a 141 school? Okā€¦

Adam

Jason,

Just so I understand correctly, you are currently a student at ATP Phoenix, correct? That is a part 61 program. Are you saying that you desire to work with part 141 students because you feel that will be a resume builder?

Chris

yes sir

Jason,

There are a lot of good reasons to want to instruct at ATP Phoenix, primarily because it is a rather busy location, but letā€™s be very clear here. No airline, no FAA inspector, no training department, will ever ask if you either went to a 141 school or instructed 141 students, it just wonā€™t be a concern and putting it on your resume will not advance your career in any way at all.

It is fine to want to instruct 141 students, but is not going to change your career prospects in any way at any point in your career.

Chris