Off to IWA after lengthy FAA Deferral

Good evening, all!

I’ve been lurking in the forums incognito for some time now, if only to keep myself sane waiting on my 1st Class to get issued. Just wanted to share my story in case it could help ease another’s apprehension in a similar situation.

Let me preface this by stating something I learned that could have saved me all the headache:
Do Not go for your medical unless you are absolutely certain you are fit to fly, including any pre existing medical issues you could even potentially have or had. I had kidney stones, but made the mistake of visiting my AME before being fully cleared by my doctor. This was The third week of August. Even though I went for my simple outpatient procedure to get the stones shockwaved into powder (100% successful), I was deferred. I forwarded all applicable paperwork to the Aerospace Medical Division up in Oklahoma on September 12th (FYI, faxing is the absolute fastest since no one seems to remember it exists). I called almost every week, but was disappointed every time to hear my file was still “in review.” I did everything I could to keep myself occupied, waiting on the simple little piece of paper that would let me pursue my dream career, but this is the government we are talking about.

Finally, on November 5th, my 1st Class Medical was issued. I had called on the 7th just to check, expecting the same response of it being in review. You couldn’t imagine my happiness when the gentleman on the phone had simply asked if I’d like a copy emailed over.

So now I sit here, anxiously awaiting my Admissions Flight on the 13th. I will be taking a 3 hour bi-annual and refresher out of Henderson Executive just to knock off the rust and get myself back in the left seat. I had been flying my paramotor a lot around the Vegas area (but well clear of the Bravo!) to at least scratch that aviation itch. My final plan is to start the 3rd week of December after my best friends wedding, and really put the hammer down. I will definitely be getting all my written exams done prior to, but can’t wait to get going down in Phoenix.

So, TLDR, if you’ve been deferred try not to stress about it too much. Understand that it is the government, and while their unofficial motto is “Were not happy until you’re not happy” they are just trying to keep the skies safe by making sure we’re all healthy. My total time from submission to response was just under 2 months, but YMMV.

Also, if there’s anyone down in the Mesa area the 13th to the 15th of November, I’ll be around to do my flight, as well as chat with a few instructors just to get a feel for the campus. I went a few weeks ago for the open house/Envoy visit, but I’ll be apartment shopping this time. Can’t wait to get started!

1 Like

Good news! 2 months is actually really quick for the FAA.

Tory

1 Like

“We aren’t happy until you aren’t happy.” I love it! Also “we’re from the government and we’re here to help.” Good luck with your training!

Jeff,

Great news, congrats! Let us know how the admissions flight goes and what your next steps are.

Chris

I’m going on 7months waiting for approval! I must ask, we can fax documents? Do u have some info on this? Thanks and good luck to u!

That sounds lengthy. But, yes their fax number is on their website: https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/designee_types/ame/amcs/phonenumbers/

However if your application is already in review, I wouldnt suggest forwarding anything else. An agent I spoke with on the phone says it will actually delay you further because they have to take your file out of the queue to re-add documents, placing you at the back of the metaphorical line. However you could always call to check on the current status of your medical without issue. They could have new information relevant to your case that may not have reached you by mail.
Example: My medical was issued on November 5th, and I found out the 7th by calling and they emailed me a copy of the certificate. My actual letter and certificate did not arrive until the 18th.

All depends on the condition for which you were deferred, the overall amount of pilots submitting that week, etc.

1 Like

Flight went spectacular. Flew with Olivia at IWA, and she was super nice and very helpful. I loved the atmosphere of the school. It was very laid back and friendly, but everyone still maintained this professional demeanor. Significant improvement over UNLV (old school I attended to work on my MBA).

Cant wait to start on the 16th. Already completed the orientation modules, and planning to hammer out the Knowledge Tests before hand. I figured by posting here, it will help me stay accountable! :laughing::laughing:

I am glad it went well. You are right about the written exams, we take that seriously on this board :slight_smile:

I’m instructing at the Mesa location now :blush: feel free to pop by and ask any questions you have

2 Likes