October 2018 Schedule

October, 2018 schedule

1. EWR-IAD (deadhead), IAD-SFO
  2. SFO-LAS, LAS-SFO
  3. SFO-MFR
  4. MFR-SFO, SFO-EWR (deadhead)
  5. EWR-LAX (deadhead), LAX-ORD (diversion to GRB, then ORD)
  6. Deadhead to ORF (home)
  7. off
  8. off
  9. off
  10. off
  11. deadhead from home to OMA
  12. OMA-ORD, ORD-CMH, CMH-ORD, ORD-ICT (deadhead)
  13. ICT-DEN, DEN-PHX
  14. PHX-EWR, long call reserve
  15. LGA-ORD, ORD-BZN
  16. BZN-DEN, deadhead to ORF
  17. off
  18. off
  19. off
  20. deadhead to ORD, ORD-SJC
  21. SJC-IAH, IAH-EWR
  22. long call reserve
  23. short call reserve
  24. off
  25. off
  26. off
  27. off
  28. off
  29. off
  30. off
  31. off
2 Likes

Hey Chris, thanks for the schedule updates.

My questions, some more loaded than other so no rush in answering :sweat_smile:

1. What do you guys do on overnights? There’s only so much Netflix one can watch right? If you wanted to go out does the airline supply a crew car or does traveling to a restaurant or downtown come out of your pocket?

2. (kind of ties in with the last question) How long is the typical delay between legs? Do you find yourself sitting around a lot? What do you do during these delays? Does the airline have sleeping quarters at airports where you can just go back and relax?

3. How realistic is the possibility of being hired by a major airline? I’m reading some mixed thoughts across multiple forums stating that the pilot shortage is only affecting regional airlines and that one should consider them selves lucky if they get picked up by a major. Is there any truth to this from your PoV? Is United scrambling for pilots the same way many regionals are? Am I setting myself up for disappointment if my ultimate goal is to be picked up by a major airline?

4. How far can networking take you in the airline industry? I personally know multiple senior captains in cargo and a major airline. Do you think this could help me get an early interview with either of these airlines, granted I meet their experience minimums?

Imran

Imran,

It’s past Chris’ bedtime so I’ll offer my thoughts and Chris and others can later.

1. There are pilots who stay in their rooms and others who venture out. As long as you’re well-rested and fit to fly the next day the airline really doesn’t care. That said what YOU do is on YOUR dime. Why wouldn’t it be? Why should the airline pay to entertain or get YOU a restaurant vs the pilot that stay in and watches Netflix? It’s the airlines responsibility to make sure you have proper accommodations and transportation to/from the airport, not to make sure you’re experiencing the wonders of downtown Boise.

2. There are trips that have 30min between flights and others that have 5hrs. If you’re in a hub there’s usually a crew rest room but if you’re not than hopefully that Netflix subscription is up to date. Again it’s not the airline’s responsibility to entertain you.

3. There are no mixed reviews. The Regionals are desperate the Majors are far from it. No United, Delta, American, Hawaiian, SouthWest etc are not scrambling for pilots. Flying for a Major airline is the pinnacle of this profession and some pilots get there, others don’t. Do well, don’t suffer training issues, accidents or incidents, have a clean record and a 4yr degree and you “should” make it but there are absolutely ZERO guarantees. I know some very talented pilots who’ve been trying for 20yrs and no joy.

4. Networking is helpful, particularly in getting an interview (not necessarily early) but getting the job is on you and that’s where many pilots fail. Some people don’t interview well and others are just plain unlikeable. If an airline is interviewing you that means you’ve met the mins and have the experience and recommendations. The question then becomes is this someone who’ll “fit” with the corporate culture and would I enjoy being locked in a cockpit for 8hrs with this guy OR is this going to be someone who moans and groans that the company won’t pay for his Uber, dinner and a show?

Adam

Why so many deadheads in a single month?

Cameron,

That is the life of a reserve pilot. The company was short of pilots on the west coast.

Chris

If you are on reserve and have to deadhead, do you get paid for that specific flight or not?

Cameron,

If you are on Reserve you get paid the min monthly guarantee (usually about 75hrs depending on the airline) unless you fly over 75hrs. The deadhead will count towards those hours. If at the end of the month you flew (or deadheaded) less than 75hrs you get paid for 75hrs. If you flew (or DHed) 80hrs you get paid 80hrs. At many airlines however if you volunteer to fly on a day off that flight time (or DH) will be paid on top on the 75. If you look at my schedule for last month I only flew 29.5hrs but did a check flight on a day off worth 4:10 so I was paid 79:10 for the month.

Adam

Imran,

Let’s get to your questions.

1. I do not watch TV, ever. I usually work out, walk around, answer questions on this website and of course eat. The airlines do not provide crew cars, but they do pay per diem, which helps to cover your expenses. I rarely spend more on food than I get in per diem.

2. Usually I do not sit long inbetween legs, but occasionally it can be a few hours. In the hubs, we have crew rooms that have comfortable chairs and sleeping quarters. In the outstations, there isn’t anything, but we rarely sit at out stations.

3. It is very possible to get to a major, but as with all things in life, there are no guarantees. The majors will never hurt for pilots like the regionals are, but their pool is getting more limited. To get hired at a major, you will need thousands of hours of flight time, a very clean record and patience.

4. Networking can work exceptionally well, it is the primary reason that I was hired at Continental at such a young age. Keep those contacts and always keep in mind that you never know who you are talking to.

Chris