Real Answers from Real Pilots

October '17 Schedule

78 hours. 88 credits. 13 days off. Slow month. Horizon is trying to recover from last month’s cancellations. The Company decided to take away all of the extra flying. This helps them control their reserve pool in case pilots can’t fly for whatever reason. This strategy is temporary. More ERJs are projected to arrive on the property in February, 2018.

DH = Deadhead
VJM = Voluntary Junior Man. This puts me at the top of the reserve list. So, if any flying becomes available I am the first person that will be called. Unfortunately, nothing came up.

1. SEA-FAT-SEA-SMF
  2. SMF
  3. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA
  4. SEA-COS-SEA
  5. SEA-FAT-SEA-SMF
  6. SMF
  7. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA
  8. SEA-COS-SEA-PDX
  9. DH to SEA, SEA-OKC-SEA
  10. SEA-FAT-SEA-SMF
  11. SMF
  12. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA
  13. SEA-FAT-SEA-SMF
  14. SMF
  15. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA
  16. SEA-FAT-SEA-SMF
  17. SMF
  18. SMF-SAN-FAT-SEA
  19. VJM
  20. VJM

Tory, the days you have listed as just SMF, you were just hanging out in Sacramento? Seems you had that spot a lot. Can you explain?

Yeah those were all layovers in Sacramento. That’s where my family is. So,
I bid for those layovers.

Tory

So it’s really more like you had 18 days off since you had those five layover days in SMF?

I do not consider a whole day layover to be a day off, even if it is with family, etc. It is still a day where you are liable to the company.

Pretty much! I spent those 5 days in SMF with family. Felt like a day off
to me :blush:

Hi Tory,

Do you get paid for layovers even if it is a city that you bid on?

Cara,

Yes. We get paid a per diem of $1.80 for every hour we spend away from base.

Tory

Yes, pilots always get paid while at work. It doesn’t matter if you bid on the city or not, you are still on company time and thus get paid. At my airline, we get a minimum of five hours per day whilst at work, even if we do not actually fly at all in a given day.