NY Flight School Recommendations

Hey Guys,

Any recommendations for Flight schools in the NY Long Island Area. Was looking at Academy of Aviation in Farmingdale and ATP flight school. Academy of aviation is part 141 though.

Any Advice.

Manpreet

1 Like

Manpreet,

Unless someone who has experience at Academy of Aviation is a member on this forum, ATP’s forum at that, shares their thoughts on the program you’re probably better off visiting these schools and deciding for yourself. This is your career after all. You have to decide what’s best for you.

Tory

Tory,

With all due respect to ATP I thought this forum was for the whole aviation community. Just exploring my options here as it is a huge investment to make.

Manpreet

And all due respect to your question, I’m trying to encourage you to take a different approach to getting closer to making your dream a reality by touring these schools. I’m not discrediting your question. I’m trying to guide you more directly towards the answer. Do the intro flights. Get your hands on the controls. Talk to the CFIs. Get stats of each school’s success rate. I promise you’ll get a lot more out of those kinds of experiences.

I glanced at their website. From what I can tell they look like an ATP copycat except they’re part 141. They even use Wells Fargo for financing. If you can get approved for a loan then I’d say you’ll be able to choose whichever school you’d like.

When you talk to these schools, focus on what’s important to you. It may be the fleet condition? Maintenance efficiency? Instructor availability? Examiner availability? One-on-one ground? Self-study? Multi-engine time? Track record? Housing availability? Etc.

Tory

Manpreet,

With all due respect to you this forum IS open to the whole aviation community. Tory was simply telling you that the vast majority of info available on this forum is from current and former ATP students and instructors.

The fact that ATP created this forum AND you have been basically gathering all your info on the subject from this forum should say something to you. In short where’s AoA’s forum, mentors, students and instructors?

Adam

Adam,

I highly value all the important information that has been shared on this forum. I was perhaps misunderstood. I sincerely apologize if my post was considered wrong in any way. Thank you for all the valuable information you guys have provided for someone like me who really wants to be a pilot but has no knowledge about the industry.

Thank You!

Manpreet

Hello Tory,

I will consider all of those things that you mentioned. Tory I sincerely apologize if my post was considered rude in any way. I was just comparing both schools because we all have different journeys and I was just weighing all my options here.

Thank You!

Manpreet

1 Like

And that’s good. You should be weighing your options. I apologize if my initial response did not read well. It was coming from a good place.

Tory

1 Like

Yes, Tory. Sometimes a textual message can be misinterpreted if anything you’re a pilot already and I’m still to start training, all I have is respect for you. Thank you a lot for the advice in choosing the right school.

Manpreet Singh

1 Like

You’re welcome.

Tory

1 Like

Manpreet,

Chris put together a really thought out checklist when selecting a flight school and I think it would be a good tool to use when looking at other flight schools as well as ATP. It gives a good guide of questions to see if they will be a good client to you (after all Flight Schools work for you and your money and you should treat them as such!)

https://airlinepilot.life/t/questions-for-any-prospective-flight-school/117?u=tolento47

1 Like

Tom,

Thank you for reaching out. I will definitely take a look it’s valuable advice. Good Luck !

Manpreet