Number of Checkrides in Program

Hi everyone. Just wondering from the Zero Time program, exactly howmany DPE Checkrides are there? I was looking at the loan section of ATP and if you request extra money on top of your tuition, it adds an extra $7200 to the loan amount. I know DPEs choose their own prices, but even at $700 a pop, which is well above than average I’m told, that’s over 10 checkrides. My understanding is there seems to be 5 checkrides (Private, Instrument, Commercial, Multi-engine, and CFI). Are there more I have not listed or is ATP just padding the numbers in case students fail several checkrides and/or get stuck with really expensive DPEs so they don’t need to get additional loans? Seems most DPEs charge around $500 and if there are only 5 checkrides, typical students would only need to have $2500 set aside for their checkride fees.

1 Like

Alex,

You missed 2 (CFII and MEI) as there are 3 CFIs included in the program. I’m going to guess they are inflating it just in case you’re in an area where the checkride fees are high and as a buffer for a bust so you don’t find yourself in a position where you’re short on funds.

I recommend you call ATP directly as they could explain it for certain.

Adam

1 Like

Alex,

I have actually heard of some DPEs charging as much as $1,000 for an initial CFI ride, so the cost can vary from one check ride to the next.

Chris

Adam,

Thanks for the answer. Didn’t realize there are 3 different checkrides to worry about for my CFI. Good to know!

Alex

Alex,

$500/ride was the rate when I went through in 2014/15. The MEI was $800. Hopefully some current students share their experiences.

Tory

1 Like

I paid anywhere from 500-700 depending on my examiner. And I have friends recently back from CFI in Phoenix the spent around 1300-1600 if I remember correctly

My checkride prices were:

Pvt: $700
Inst: $800
Comm Single: $800
CFI: $1300
CFII: $800
Comm Multi: $800
MEI: $800

So an even $6,000 for me. First five were in 2019, and last two in 2020. Pretty standard from what I’ve seen in the central region at least.

2 Likes

Hey @Tolento47, any idea what DPEs around the Northeast region are charging if you don’t mind me asking?

CFI initial in Phoenix is $1600… :cry:

I am a instructor in Maine and the DPE charges $450 for private Instrument and commercial

My fees were (starting the end of Sept. 2019 through last week):

Instrument - $600
Comm Single - $800
CFI Initial - $1300
CFII - $600
Comm Multi - 800 MEI - 800

This was in south Florida area.

1 Like

In Southern California, I paid $750 for my PPL, IR, CPL and now $1200 for my CFI (checkride next month💪🏻)