Nov 17 Schedule- Upgrade Sim and Return to InterIsland

11/1 Sim
11/2 Off
11/3-5 Sim
11/6 Maneuvers Validation
11/7 LOE
11/8 BNE-SYD-HNL
11/9-10 OFF
11/11 UOE (Upgrade Operating Experience w/CheckAirman)
HNL-ITO-HNL-OGG-HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL
11/12 OFF
11/13 UOE HNL-LIH-HNL-OGG-HNL-ITO-HNL
11/14 UOE HNL-KOA-HNL-ITO-HNL-KOA-HNL
11/15-16 OFF
11/17 UOE/FAA Observation
HNL-LIH-HNL-OGG-HNL-ITO-HNL
11/18 Line Check HNL-LIH-HNL
11/19 OFF
11/20 Resv No Call
11/21 HNL-LIH-HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-HNL
11/22-23 Resv No Call
11/24 HNL-LIH-HNL-ITO-KOA-HNL
11/25-28 OFF
11/29 HNL-KOA-HNL-OGG-KOA-HNL *Premium Pay
11/30 Resv No Call

Busy Month! 75 Flt/Sim hrs, 82hrs Pay

1 Like

Adam,

I know you get to be home every night, but those short frequent legs should take a toll on you! How are you adjusting to the new flying?

Yuran

Yuran,

I’m absolutely giddy! In my humble opinion Hawaiian Airlines Interisland is the GREATEST gig in aviation. There are am and pm schedules (I like the am’s). Yes it’s 6 legs average BUT our longest flight is HNL-ITO which is about 35min and the shortest is HNL-LIH which is around 20. Take off, 5-15min in cruise, and land. I start at 5-6am and I’m done by noon, home for lunch and on the beach 1:30. There’s no winter ops, it’s VFR 90% of the time, few delays due to traffic, and always have spare airplanes if a mx issue pops up. Crews are all pro and super chill. We have a really nice locker room with showers. There are no bags because we have no overnights EVER. Half the time I ride my motorcycle to work in my shorts, put on my uniform (no tie), grab my flight case and go fly. Toll? Hawaii ain’t got no tolls :slight_smile:

Adam

5 Likes

That sounds so awesome! Seriously… if I didn’t have kiddo here in FL, I’d make that my goal to copy your career progression. :grin::sunglasses:

1 Like

Adam,

I understand where you’re coming from! Personally, it seems that QOL is what makes interisland flying so awesome! You just can’t beat that schedule! The flying itself seems like it’ll get a bit old fairly fast? That’s probably my inexperience talking :joy: I’m sure 3 - 4 day trips also get old and would make me wish I was home every night. Just got to wait and see what I end up liking!

Like I said, I’m super happy for you and your new chapter in your career!

Really cool to see both you and Chris advance your respective careers! Tory, you’re next!

Yuran

Ha! Fingers crossed. I need 500 more hours with Horizon before I’ll be
eligible to upgrade. I know it’s all wishful thinking at this point, but at
this rate that’ll be some time in May or June of next year. The good news
is that Horizon is growing. Upgrade times are as low as 12 months right now.

Tory

Tory,

With the amount you fly, I wouldn’t be surprised! I know you regularly pick up extra trips whenever you can! You’ll be in the left seat fairly soon!

Yuran

1 Like

Yuran,

To be completely honest I thought exactly the way you did when I was first hired at Hawaiian. I was told during my interview that I’d “probably” be on the Airbus. That was what I wanted. I had been flying the RJ and wanted to fly a heavy to Japan and finally prove that I was a REAL airline pilot to my family and friends (and yes myself). Well I was assigned to the 717 and I was not happy. This was just a big RJ and instead of flying all across the North American continent I would now be flying to only 5 airports! Just 5! BUT Hawaiian was where I wanted to be, I was on the seniority list and 2yrs (seat lock) wasn’t too bad so what the heck. Honestly it was the BEST thing that could’ve ever happened. As I said I had no interest in Interisland and if I wasn’t forced into it I would’ve spent my entire career on the Bus (or 767) and would’ve missed out on the greatest gig in aviation. Just to be clear, Hawaiian 717 flying is the best gig in aviation IF you enjoy FLYING airplanes and aspire to be a good pilot. Ask anyone who flies it and the 717 does not give her heart wantonly. She makes you work for it. Each N#, a few thousand pounds + or -, or a few knots too much (or too little) and you’re flying a completely different airplane. I compare flying the 717 to a martial artist practicing a single kata every day for a lifetime trying to perfect it. I’ve flown with pilots who’ve flown the plane for decades who have gotten close, but still not quite. That vs the Bus that I nailed Day 1. The Islands are magnificent and I fly with pilots who’ve lived here their entire lives, flown for the airline 30+ years and they still take pictures every day.

I suppose some might find it boring but I didn’t the first 3 yrs and don’t foresee it happening ever. If it does I can always move but as long as I get to see that sun rising on the Pacific…

Adam

1 Like

Great pic Adam! I was just in OGG last week… took a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour while I was there which was awesome! Pic from a similar spot as you but at only 800’. Is that Lanai directly in front of you with OGG off in the distance? Moloka’i to the left and not in the picture?

You are correct sir. FYI, Blue Hawaiian allows airline pilots to jumpseat :slight_smile:

Adam

That is pretty cool! I didn’t even think to ask about something like that. We only went OGG-OGG so it didn’t even cross my mind that on island to island flights you could jumpseat!

Adam,

Okay, okay, you definitely have a point! Knowing myself, I’d choose QOL over equipment (though I’ll fly a heavy at one point in my career). You bring up some valid point and an extremely gorgeous view! To further you point, my buddy is transitioning from the A320 to the 757/767 for AA and he says that Boeing is “forcing him to be a real pilot again.” Hope you’re enjoying the more hands-on flying that the 717 presents to you! The 717 gives you feed, right? I know that was one of the things mentioned about Airbus vs. Boeing.

It’s crazy to think that even with as much experience has you have, you (or anyone for that matter) are always working to master the plane; that it’s not something that just happens because you have so many hours.

If there are any interesting stories, share em!

Yuran

I’m enjoying it more than I can express.

Life is good :slight_smile:

1 Like