New Career

Reagan,

You didn’t sound like you were dumping on ATP at all, you were just conveying your experience and expressing your concerns (and btw if you were dumping on ATP that’s cool too. This is America my brother). If you didn’t have any concerns or worries I’d be worried about your sanity. As I said this is just kinda of sore subject with me. As much as I want all prospective students to have a VERY clear and honest vision of what they have ahead of them, positive and negative, there also needs to be some BIG picture thinking as well. Unfortunately this life (and industry) is full of optimists and pessimists (I’m more of a realist or at least try and be), extremes on either side don’t really help anyone.

While again I appreciate these guys may be in a bit of a slump, I also think they need to remember that they’re getting paid to do something they enjoy and are closer than the majority of the people on this planet to fulfilling their dreams. Also not trying to bash any particular generation, but I almost believe that before you can be a pilot you should have to spend a few years at a REAL job, just for some perspective. I did the 9-5 in an office, was a construction laborer and a restaurant owner. My WORST day flying airplanes beats my BEST day doing anything else.

Peace out!

Adam

1 Like

Adam… or anyone for that matter,

How long does the Instructor Proficiency Program in Jacksonville take once you have completed the 100 hour course and looking to be a CFI for ATP ? 1 week ? 2 ? just trying to work out a timeline still and i cant recall asking that question when i was on the phone with ATP

Thanks for your input.

Reagon,

It’s been a while but when I attended it was 2-3 weeks. Good fun too. Lots of useful info and polishing maneuvers. There were also a few senior instructors who’s job was to “rattle” you like a new student. Personally I thought it was hysterical but one guy started crying. “You sure you wanna be a pilot? Maybe you should be driving a Pepsi truck?!” That’s an actual quote! Good times :grin:

Adam

1 Like

Hi every one i got to say it to. thank you for the info because all this conversation describe my exact situation , 2 kids my wife, 36 years old and a bunch of questions, like, do i going to make enough money to fide my family wile making hours? how fast ill be able to make the hours? after i graduate do i going to be hire fast? if i get hire what would be my income the first 1 or 2 years? and you know that hold me up because i feel like when i ask these questions to A or B school they just go like, yea dont worry youll be ok and is hard because i feel that they just want my money and they dont care about anything else. but i guest that i have to make my decisión . i was looking to go to a different school beside ATP. what is the difference between ATP of the rest off the others? does the ATP pilots have more chances to be hire? the program is better? thank you for you help and i hoppe you understand me cos as you see englis is my 2nd language. thank you again.

Luis

Luis,

All flight schools are different and offer different programs from each other, but at the end of the day they all lead you to the someplace, to taking various check rides that are administered but the FAA. Now some schools are better than others. Take a look at the link below, it is a list of questions that I can up with that I think you should ask any flight school that you are looking into. If you ask everybody the same questions you will be able to more easily compare the schools.

Since you brought up the English issue, I am happy to work with you here as I am sure the other coaches are, but speaking, reading and writing English clearly is important to the airlines and to the FAA. In fact to get an FAA pilot certificate you have to be certified as being “English proficient”. The same is true of the foreign carriers as English is the official language of aviation world-wide. I would suggest that you make sure that your English is top notch before your pursue this career as it will help you both in training and in getting hired at an airline.

Chris

Hey Chris thank you so much for you help, working hard on my english.

Hi guys sorry that bother you again, I am planning to start my training early next year but in the mid time i would like to get start reading some books, as a beginner what books would you recommend me?

Luis,

I like the Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual. It is a great introduction to what flying is all about.

Chris

I’m with Chris, I like the Jeppesen manual. I like the format and better pictures!

Adam

Eric, Chris, Adam, you guys are amazing thank you so much for you help, i wish somo day I have the oportunity to meet you guys that will be amazing but for now thank you for you help

Luis,

No problem at all, that is what we are here for. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Chris

Thank you, thank you very much (That was my Elvis impression)

Adam

A post was split to a new topic: Officially starting ATP