Need some guidance

Hello all, I’m 36 years old and have a good job with a company I have been with for going on 16 years. I drive semi trucks but I’m home everyday and I enjoy it for the most part, but I have always wanted to a pilot. If I could make it to a regional airline I’d be stoked just to be a pilot. I just don’t know how to make it happen. I wish I could work full time and go to flight school at the same time or should focus on school? I just don’t know how to go about getting into flight school while still maintaining my job.

Tremaine,

You can work and go to flight school, but it will take you many years longer than if you go to an accelerated school like ATP. The FAA requires pilots to retire by the age of 65, so while you are not old, you do want to get serious about getting into the industry.

The best way is to be able to focus on your flight training full time. Keep in mind that you can apply for financing to help cover the costs of tuition.

Chris

1 Like

Tremaine,

I understand and appreciate not everyone can take 9mos off from life to train. BUT if you can, you should. While you can take instruction while you work, in addition to the extra years of training (and years of lost wages) it will cost you much more in the long run. You life and your call but again if you can, you should.

Adam

1 Like