Nationwide Cross-Country Flying

I know it’s a bit early to be talking about this but I live in about 1 hour away from the atp flight school out in Chicago. I saw that typical school times for nationwide cross country flying was around 7 in the morning. At the end of the day according to the atp website, most of the time you would maybe be home around 5 pm. I would problably have to wake up pretty early to make it on time for school.(Actually not “probably” more like always, I can’t be tardy) For me Im sure I’m fine with all the times for all the other things I must do while enrolled in atp for example while working on your commercial rating on the website it shows most people have school around 8 or 9 and those times fit my schedule comfortably. The cross country flying was what I was wondering more about. I want obviously enough time to study but I’d problably have to sleep around 9 pm so I could wake up on time. While one is at the point of doing cross country flying while enrolled in ATP doesnt one have to study alot or is that point In time specifically were you do more flying the classwork? In high school I tend to at least have around 4 hours to study however if school ends at 5 I wouldn’t be back home till maybe 6 Ish making it only possible to have 1-3 hours of study time since obviously I have to eat, shower and stuff once getting home. If that’s the case then I will just have to adjust my schedule, work even harder and deal with it. Futhermore the question I’m mainly trying to ask is, do you need alot of study time while your at the point were you start to do nationwide cross country flying?

Alex,

One thing to point out first, you cannot enroll in ATP straight out of high school. You will need two years of college, two years of work experience, or a private pilot license before you are eligible to enroll at ATP.

The cross countries do come at a bit of a lull during the training cycle, but you will absolutely still need to be studying. ATP is run like an airline and airlines routinely have show times as early as 4am. You just have to learn how to make it happen.

Chris

Thanks Chris and yes I am 100% aware that I need at least an associates degree but by work experience, what exactly do you mean? Does That mean I cant go strait to atp after getting my bachelors? Or can I actually go strait to atp after college once my bachelors and medical is obtained.

Alex,

All of those requirements state “or” not “and” you will be fine to apply straight to ATP after completing your bachelor’s degree.

Chris

1 Like

Alex,

Keep in mind during the cross country phase many (if not most) of your trips will not start in Chicago. ATP will pair you with another pilot, flying from location to location and often spending the night away from home. The drive generally will not be an issue.

Adam

1 Like