Multi-Engine

Hello!

Is it possible to get a ME rating after/during your PPL or should it wait until after/during commercial license?

Thanks for all the help
Nicolas

Nicolas,

“Should” is subjective. All depends on why you want it and what you’d use if for?

Most students wait because ME training comes with ME prices. Most elect to do the majority of their training in a SE to cut costs.

To answer your question, your initial PPL can be done in a ME, but I don’t recommend this to anyone. That’s like trying to run before you can crawl.

A ME rating can be added to your PPL after your PSEL check ride. This is the most common route. ATP used to do this, but now, thanks to the new TAA regulation, ATP was able to remove the PMEL section and rearrange their syllabus to have the ME training start after receiving a CSEL.

Tory

Nicolas,

That really depends on your goals? If your goal is simply to fly recreationally and you want to travel the country in a twin then sure get your PMEL. If not I don’t see much point? Do you want to do the rest of your training (CPL, IFR, CFI) in a twin? If so it’ll cost you double and make your workload considerably higher.

Adam

Nicolas,

If you are attending ATP, you will get the multi rating after you get your commercial single. If attending another flight school, it is possible to get it after your initial PPL, but there really isn’t any point to it. you could actually get your initial PPL in a multi, but that would really be pointless and costly.

Chris