Mom and pop vs ATP

Hello,

I’m a 41 year old private pilot that has decided I want to spend my last 23 years as a career pilot. I’m looking hard at ATP to accomplish this. The only reason I haven’t enrolled yet is because I’m trying to justify the cost. I currently have 240 hours. I’ll have at least 280 hours by time I finish my instrument. There’s no time building involved to obtain my commercial. We’re talking maneuvers, a written, and a check ride at that point. I’m going to guess the biggest cost with ATP‘s tuition is the time building for commercial that I won’t need. Although the crew style training would be very beneficial! I guess the other benefit with ATP is that I might have closer to 500 hours when I completed the whole program which would put me closer to reaching my overall goal??

Doug,

I think the biggest advantage for you going to ATP is the fact you are 41yo. I was in a similar situation years ago. I was 39, had my PPL and made the decision to go pro. The problem was it had taken me almost 2yrs to earn my PPL and it wasn’t due to my skills or capabilities. I like many find training at the local fight school very frustrating. Weather, maintenance, instructor availability, aircraft availability etc etc. I realized if I were to make a career change I had to get the training done in a much more efficient manner. ATP will have you done in 6mos including your CPL, and all 3 CFIs. I’m not sure how your training has gone to date but at 41 you really shouldn’t be wasting time. The money and benefits you’ll potentially lose will far outweigh whatever you might save training locally.

Adam

Doug,

With everything going on now too, ATP has been offering a 10 hour commercial multi and 10 hour ATP program. Just something else to look at.

Tory

Thank you Adam and Tory! I couldn’t agree more in regards to time. I’ll certainly check on the 10 hour programs. I sincerely appreciate both of you and thank you for your responses!

1 Like

Doug,

With already having your PPL and soon your instrument, along with that much flight time, I would recommend doing the ten hour program and then getting your CFIs somewhere. Of course could always go to ATP for all of your training and it would likely be the fastest way to a career as a professional pilot.

Chris

Thank you Chris! The 10 hour program sounds very tempting!! I appreciate your advice on this.

I’d also double check your Comm Mins to verify that you have met all of the requirements to obtain it… outside of TT (PIC time, hours in complex/TAA, long XC flights, etc). It might end up that you do in fact need more than the 10 hours. You’ve probably already considered this but just wanted to throw it out there in case you hadn’t. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you, Jordan! All valid points. I went back through my log book to validate everything you mentioned. I’ve logged a quite a bit of time in a high performance/complex Bonanza on several long cross country flights. I guess that’s why I’m ultimately trying to figure out if I need to spend the money for ATP’s airline program. It would look great on my resume though! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like