Military

Would you recommend flying for the military? If so, which branch would be the best to help me become a commercial pilot?

Ashlee,

I would recommend flying for the military if you want to serve your country and as a bi-product of that, fly airplanes. The military is a whole way of life and should net be entered into with the though of simply getting somebody else to pay for flight training.

Every branch of the military flies airplanes and helicopters, the Air Force and the Navy more so than the others.

Chris

Ashlee,

The United States military offers some of the finest flight training in some of the most advanced (and coolest) aircraft in the world. As Chris said if you have a desire to serve your country then by all means I would investigate the option and support that decision. You must recognize the military doesn’t just hand out flying slots and it’s a huge commitment. BUT if your goal is to be an airline pilot and you’re thinking of the military simply as a means to that end I would look at other options. It’s considerably more than just free flight training and no branch offers a better route to the airlines as that not what they’re training you for.

Adam