Medical tests

Good day to everyone. My name is Eyethu Dlamini and i am 18 years old this year. So I used to smoke weed but I was able to stop and now I have this problem of smoking cigarettes and I’m trying with all my myt to abstain from it because my dream of becoming an airline pilot would rather be demolished by this substance consumption if I don’t stop. So I was wondering if the medical tests would disqualify me as a student if they are to find out that I used to smoke cigarettes.

Thank you

Eyethu,

The short answer is no. I know plenty of pilots who smoke cigarettes which frankly blows my mind. I cannot comprehend why anyone in modern society, knowing what we know about the effects of smoking still chooses to do so. Further if I was on a hiring panel and saw someone take a cigarette break I decline their application purely because I questioned their decision making but that’s me.

Adam

Thank you. So the FAA compromises if certain conditions are met?

Eyethu,

I don’t believe I mentioned the FAA anywhere in my response? There is no compromises. The FAA doesn’t even ask.

Adam

Cigarettes are fine, illegal drugs are not. You will have to answer for your past drug use and will likely be subject to an extra evaluation by the FAA.

Thank you for the advice.