Major Airline Pay scale questions

Actually not really that complicated. We have some REALLY smart guys here one of whom created a neat little “Retro Calculator”. You just put in your info and voila’! Problem is my internal struggle between new “toy” (boat, motorcycle, etc) and fiscal responsibility! THAT’S the complicated part! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chris,

Makes a lot of sense! I’m sure that getting to a point where you are able to get your requested schedule was difficult so I understand it completely. Happy flying, Chris!

Yuran

717 CA was what you’ve wanted wasn’t it Adam? Can we assume you’re done moving airplanes? Unless you someday get a random itch to CA international and get back into a bus when you can hold that of course?

Back to interisland for you!!!

James,

Woohoo! 717 CA is where I want to be and plan to stay. The quality of life flying InterIsland is beyond comparison in my opinion. Home everyday by lunch, great crews, we actually FLY the plane and it’s VMC 90% of the time. I bid the Bus to check the big airplane box off my list and show my family and friends I am in fact a REAL airline pilot :slight_smile: The only “rub” is we just signed a new contract and the pay gap between 717 CA and 330 CA is as much as $90K a year. Seniority wise I can’t hold 330 CA yet so that’s not an issue for now BUT it will be eventually. While it’s never been about the money for me $90K is ALOT of money to walk away from. Guess we’ll see…

Adam

1 Like

Definite congratulations Adam! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Adam,

I’m extremely excited for you! On a completely different topic, according to airlinepilotcentral.com, the “preferred Minimums” at Hawaiian is “2-year degree/college graduate.” How true is this? I still plan on getting my bachelor’s, but I just found that to be interesting.

Yuran

Not sure where APC got their info, but while we do have pilots here with 2yr (and even no degree) I definitely would not say that’s “preferred” or even competitive. There’s a very recent post from a guy on my “Flying the Line” page who was just rejected and he has 10,000hrs. We have 3 star Generals here and half our pilots are F16/F22 jocks. Now if you’re third generation Hawaiian Airlines then sure you’ve got a good shot with the 2yr but otherwise I wouldn’t count on it.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much. I just found it odd that APC would say that. They either have the wrong info or outdated info. Should be hard getting hired with a 2 year or no degree when the level if airmenship and expectation is so high. Pilots in the majors set the bar high so I didn’t think that info was correct. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Yuran

Congratulations Adam! How does that work? You can be CA on a plane without being FO on the same plane first?

Chantelle,

Yes, you can be a Captain without first having been an FO on that airplane. If you think about it it makes sense. When we get a brand new airplane like the 787 somebody always has to be a Captain without having been an FO on the airplane.

Chris

Thanks Chantelle,

As Chris answered yes you can but I actually was on the 717 (and have the Type rating) first when I was hired at Hawaiian. Looking forward to going back.

Adam

1 Like