Looking into training to become a pilot

Hello! My name is Blake and I am based in Cumming Georgia. I am 18 and I am currently enrolled to the University of North Georgia as a Computer Science major. I am about to finish my first semester. I have always thought flying commercially would be a regarding job for me. But I don’t really know how to get started. I read Chris’s post about how to become a pilot, but I still had some questions. How should I go about getting my license? Should I stick to my computer science degree and then go to flight school after I graduate? Or should I start flight school now? Family is also a big thing to me. Do you guys think you see your family enough?

Thanks in advance for the replies!!

Blake,

Please take a look at the FAQ section as it details the process very clearly. As for the rest of your questions these are decisions only you can make but here are a few thoughts.

You’re already in school. Regardless of whether you become a pilot or not you’ll want that 4yr degree. We always recommend completing your education first and then flight training after.

As for family in the beginning you’ll have little control over your schedule but as you gain seniority the situation improves. Either way most pilots are gone about half the month. If that’s “enough” or not is up to you?

Adam