Likelihood of acceptance

Hey all!

To start this I fully intend to apply at some point no matter the likelihood. I am currently a CJ student in a community college and have had a change of career ideas and want to follow my passion for flight!

That being said my current degree field doesnt offer my final class needed until almost 12 months from now. I know you cant recieve federal finicial aid for two schools at once, but can I get a personal loan through either SM or WF and just complete flight school on that while receiving finicial aid for community college?

I also read that a requirement for admissions is 60 credits or a two year degree. That being said I have 79 credits and will gain a degree at 96 credits.

I guess I’m just asking ( I know that I wont get a 100$ garuntee) what my chances are based on that info.

Can I get a private loan and attend the other school at the same time using FAFSA money?

Will 79 credits and the promise of a degree soon yield me lower chances than if I’d just wait another year and graduate?

I hope to start with ATP at the Hillsboro Oregon location and just want to know if I have to wait another year because of one college class that isn’t offered right now!

Thank you for reading my very odd questions and replying!

Caylan,

Oregon schools use quarter credits while the majority of the country, including ATP requirement, use semester credits. You’ll need to calculate semester credits with (quarter credits / 4) * 3 = semester credits. In your case (79 / 4) * 3 = 59.25. You’ll need to check with ATP Admissions to see if they’ll give an exception.

Technically you could qualify for a private student loan from Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo concurrently with federal loans from the community college. You are almost certainly going to need a great cosigner to get approved with SM or WF but ultimately only they can provide the answers you seek.

Caylan,

I would think that you would more than qualify for the program, but of course it is up to the admissions department to have the final say. Also, please direct your financial questions to them as they are the experts in all such things.

I will tell you this, it is not possible to attend both college and ATP at the same time. The program is very demanding and will take up all of your free time, you will not be able to balance college and flight training. I would suggest finishing college first, then going to an accelerated flight school.

Chris