Lack of minorities in pilot profession

So… my loan is approved, but unfortunately, possibility of me becoming a pilot is heading south as my mom who cosigned is changing her mind along with dad… Long stories short, they believe pilot profession is a white male dominated profession and believe there is unwritten discrimination in the hiring process in the industry since they rarely saw a minority pilots (specifically) nor heard of around them for entire 20 years they spent in the US.

I countered that the reason they rarely saw or heard of Asian pilot around them is because Asians generally don’t pursue this profession at all. They all go for med school, dental school, law school, and tech especially Koreans. I went to high school and college in the US and I know zero Asian friends or acquaintances who went either Air Force or airline industry, but I know several who pursued med, dental or law route and either gave up or washed out. I threw out their discrimination thing because that’s just a nonsense.

So… not that many minorities pursue pilot profession. Do you think I have a valid point?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Kevin

1 Like

Kevin,

While airline WAS (as in past tense) traditionally a “white male dominated profession” times have most definitely changed. In fact I think you can say that for many professions but that in no way demonstrates a bias. I would argue your parents themselves actually prove your argument. You’re a young Asian who would like to pursue the career and you’re being discouraged and I’m certain you’re not alone. I grew up in the Bronx with a Jewish heritage. I’m still in touch with friends I grew up with and I’m the only one who became an airline pilot. While you can count on one hand the number of Jewish pilots I know at no point did I ever suspect the low number was any way associated with bias or discrimination. As you said different ethnicities tend to encourage certain professions.

I fly for Hawaiian Airlines and I can tell you we have as many Asian pilots as other ethnicities combined. I’d encourage your parents to visit any airport in the US and take a look. Times have most definitely changed.

Adam

2 Likes

Kevin,

The airlines are a very non-discriminatory place. There was a time when discrimination was rampant, but things have really changed over the last several decades to where discrimination is simply not tolerated. I have flown with pilots from all sorts of ethnic backgrounds. This simply is not a factor anymore.

Chris

2 Likes

Kevin,

I agree with the other mentors. Your parents’ argument sounds like they have their own personal agenda and they’re just using race as an excuse to prevent you from doing it. Additionally, I also think that this is an example of people in general assigning too much value to their experiences than actual objective data. Hopefully you and your parents can find common ground.

Tory

1 Like

I have to jump in on this one… I’m first generation asian.

What your parents are saying doesn’t really make sense. Being a pilot in Asian culture is darn near the top and considered equal… if not better than being a doctor/lawyer/etc. In Phoenix, entire flight schools are filled with Chinese and Koreans (Deer Valley, Chandler, Falcon Field).

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks for confirming what I thought and encouraging words and facts. Still got a way to go but I believe I can make it, so I’ll do the best I can.

Kevin

Chris,

With seniority system in place, I think the pilot profession is the least discriminatory place. Thanks for your words!

Kevin

1 Like

“People in general assigning too much value to their experiences than actual objective data”

You nailed it Tory!!! :open_mouth:

Very traditional conservative gentleman who believes life experience and advice from parents are sources of wisdom. I’m not saying he’s wrong and fully respect him as a parent and his achievements so far, but sometimes it’s hard to carry a conversation. I told him to spend more time at the airport next time he flies somewhere. I believe he’ll see plenty since his home airport is now ATL.

1 Like

They know it’s a prestigious profession. They just think probability of success is lower and I have to convince them they’re wrong. They experienced the corporate America as a foreigner so they think it’s the case in aviation too…