Knowledge Exams

Alright guys, going to take the commercial written (CAX) today. After this I have the FOI, FIA, and AGI left to take. Which order do you guys think would be the most efficient to take the remaining exams?
Thanks!
Kamrin

Kamrin,

The FIA and the AGI share a test bank so I’d def take those together but other than that really doesn’t matter. Personally I hated the FOI, my weakest test but that’s me.

Have fun!

Adam

1 Like

Kamrin,

I would take the FIA and the AGI together as they are almost the same, then the FOI.

Good work on getting these writtens done so fast.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you for he input. It’s nice to get these out of the way, my engineering professors may not agree though since I keep asking to miss class to travel to take them :joy:

Much appreciated Adam. I’m also feeling like I’ll hate the FOI. My dad is a high school teacher and he looked at the Fundamentals of instructing book and said have fun with that one lol

It’s a silly test but what can you do?

Adam

1 Like

Update: 96 on the CAX. Apparently I can’t read a VOR even though I use them to navigate airways every time I go on a XC. All 4 questions were the “here is a VOR, what angle will you intercept the XXX radial?” I don’t know what I was thinking during the test but I had to laugh when I saw the results and missed questions. On to the FIA!

Great work! You are really chugging through these. You will be very grateful that you did all of this when you are in the program.

Chris

96 is very respectable but you might want to get that whole VOR intercept thing figured out :slight_smile:

Adam

Another step completed guys. Finished up the Flight Instructor Airplane knowledge test today. Im planning to take the Advanced Ground Instructor Wednesday or Friday depending on free time, then start prepping for the FOI.

Fun aren’t they. Wait till the FOI. That was my FAVORITE! (Yes I’m being sarcastic).

Adam

1 Like

Hey Kamrin,

I’ve noticed that many people recently have been going for an AGI, and I am assuming the reason is to be eligible for a gold seal later on down the road (which is the only reason you should be getting a ground instructor rating, it has no other benefit to a flight instructor). My recommendation, and this is what I personally did, is to get the IGI (Instrument ground instructor) instead of the AGI for these reasons:

It is half as many questions (50 instead of 100) on the test.
The question bank is very similar to the IRA/FII question bank (as opposed to the AGI which has a lot of balloon, airship and glider questions).
The question bank is also much smaller on the IGI.

Bottom line, this rating is useless to a CFI because the CFI rating gives you every privilege that a ground instructor has, basic or advanced. The only good it does is make you eligible for a gold seal if you meet the other requirements, and it doesn’t matter which one you get (referring to AGI and IGI, the BGI doesn’t suffice).

Hope that helps…

Yarden

1 Like

Wish I would’ve know you didn’t need both. I already have the IGI and I already paid to schedule the AGI for Friday :weary:

Kamrin,

While either will get you your Gold Seal, the AGI Certificate gives you 3 more letters you can put on your resume. While the Regionals are hiring anyone with 1500hrs and a pulse that’s not the case at the Majors. Anything you can add to your resume is not a waste.

Adam

Very true. Also I’ve noticed in studying for this and reading additional material related to the test I’ve learned a couple new things and greatly enhanced some other toopics I was slightly shaky on. All in all, I feel like it will be helpful in the long run. I hope so at least.

Knowledge is NEVER a bad thing.

1 Like

1 more to go. Just drove up to THE Ohio State University Airport (they actually welcomed me to the airport by making sure to emphasize the “THE” :joy::joy::joy:) in columbus to take my Advanced Ground instructor knowledge test. 1 more to go (FOI) and the reality that my start date is creeping ever closer is making me start to get really excited!!!

Wow, you have really done a great job going through these exams. Good work, you will be glad you did this.

1 Like

Enjoy the free Foreflight subscription :smiley:

Yarden

2 Likes

The written exams are done! Finished the FOI today. Now to find something else to do to pass some time before my start date!

1 Like